Author Topic: 1786 Marriage Entry Questions  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1786 Marriage Entry Questions
« on: Sunday 06 June 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage entry of Samuel NORMAN to Elizabeth WIMBUSH 23 Feb 1786.
Elizabeth is noted as "a minor" - can some please remind me what age she would have to be under to be a minor? Under 16? Under 21?
Consent is given by William Pearson, the guardian of Elizabeth. Does this probably mean her parents were deceased?

Samuel, Elizabeth and 3 witnesses signed the marriage entry (no his/her x marks and the signatures are all in different writing). William Pearson was one of them, the other two being Benjm Holloway and Ma Cowley.
I understand Benjm being short for Benjamin but what is Ma short for? Matthew?

Does the fact that Elizabeth - a minor female - signed her name in 1786 suggest that she was reasonably well educated and therefore probably from a reasonably well off family?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1786 Marriage Entry Questions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 June 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
A minor was under 21.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
Lord Hardwicke's 1753 Marriage Act, made it illegal for those in England under the age of 21 to get married without the consent of their parents or guardians.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 June 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
It looks like Mo Cowley to me ? - A Moses Cowley married a Sarah Gimber at St George's Bloomsbury in 1771.

I'm not sure that the fact that Elizabeth could sign her name means she was from a well off family. Literacy levels, especially in London, were quite high at that time.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 June 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan and Carole =)
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***