Author Topic: CONROY - 2 mysteries - BOSTON  (Read 16990 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: CONROY - 2 mysteries - BOSTON
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisyloo,

I felt pretty confident that would be your Mark.  Excellent. I had seen a reference somewhere to Conroy and Conroy and dismissed it.

Rosmuck (or is it Rosmult ?) and Maam must be very near each other - think I've come across that on passenger lists as well. Wonder where Michael fits in age wise ?  Just need a few more pieces of the jig-saw !!  ??? 

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Found one with the reference Rosmuck/Rosmult which is worth keeping in mind but it might relate Ellen Conroy's side of the family and I think a reference to Faherty again ? What do you reckon ?

Boston Passenger List.

Name: Ellen Conroy. Age: 26 Years
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Arrival Date: 9 Oct 1912
Port of Departure: Queenstown, Ireland Ship Name: Laconia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Patk Cloherty
Last Residence: United States of America
Birthplace: Galway, Ireland

I think Ellen is single but its difficult to tell, she is from Rosmuck/Rosmult & her father is:- John Conroy. Rosmuck. County Galway. Travelling to Boston. I think the friend is Mrs Patrick Faherty. ..... 9th Street. Boston. Mass.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Remeber yesterday I spoke of 4 female and 4 males so what were the chances of finding a Ellen. This was another Ellen one I found yesterday but was put off because the father was Patrick Conroy.  The other fascinating thing which I have never noticed with other families that follow each other to the USA, is that this family always seem to use the SS Cymric !! The friends name on the image looks like Barbara Faherty. Ellen is travelling with a Bridget Conroy age 20, presumably, a sister.  I think there are cousins travelling to Massachusetts as well which is complicated to try and work out who belongs to who. ?  ???

Boston Passenger List.

Name: Ellen Conroy. Age 19 Born about 1894  Single. Servant
Arrival Date: 4 Sep 1913
Port of Departure: Queenstown, Ireland Ship Name: Cymric
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Barbara Haberly
Last Residence: Ireland
Birthplace: Galway, Ireland

Father Patrick Conroy of Gallalea  ??? Rosmuck. County Galway. Going to St Paul. Massachusetts. Barbara Faherty is a cousin. Linden Street. St. Paul. Massachusetts.

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisyloo,

I felt pretty confident that would be your Mark.  Excellent. I had seen a reference somewhere to Conroy and Conroy and dismissed it.

Rosmuck (or is it Rosmult ?) and Maam must be very near each other - think I've come across that on passenger lists as well. Wonder where Michael fits in age wise ?  Just need a few more pieces of the jig-saw !!  ??? 

Rosmuc (actual spelling :) ) and Maam...I wouldn't say they are really close...but close enough...maybe an hour by car today....but Connemara is pretty remote, even today, and the area is quite rugged, with mountains etc.

Yes, I think the Ellen Conroy passenger list is a good find to keep on the back burner.  I am trying to talk to living relatives, and gather more info...I got a vague "yes, I do believe there WAS a Cleggan connection" when asked about Mark, so def think that is the right one.  I am just so curious as to what happened to him, and to the two children?

Red Post...I'll re-check :)
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Okay...

The parents Peter & Ellen, started having children in 1873....the youngest child I have on the census was Barbara, and she was 6 in the 1901 census The next child was Mary, who was 10 on the same census.  There could possibly be a child in between, but then where would she be in 1901?

Ellen's two grand-daughters, Mary Ellen b. 1902 and Norah b.1903 also travelled out to the States.  Mary Ellen married a Faherty  :o

It really doesn't help that they all seem to marry the same names!!!  agh! 

Added:  I think Patt was the eldest...born 1873 (but I may be wrong) and Mark now seems to be born 1876, the next child, Peter, I have was born 1885, so Michael would possibly be between Mark and Peter?

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, thats roughly how I worked it out -  Patrick 1872 - Mark abt 1876 Michael abt 1880  ??? Peter 1884 Delia 1888  ??? Mary 1891 Ellen ???  ??? (even guessing the name)  ???  Barbara 1895. 
Almost a 4 year gap between the ones we know  ???
Don't suppose the father Peter could have kept nipping to the USA  ???
Of course they could have had more but they died young - that could explain the gaps.

Time for a break - I'm going cuckoo  ???

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
LOL...thanks for all your help so far.  I will try and get some more verbal information.  You do end up going in circles though eh?  Thanks again.  ;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 June 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
How about a post on the Ireland board to see if it is possible to get the details on the children ?

I can't seem to glean anything more from the passenger lists - many entries for Conroy and Rosmuc but they could all be cousins  ???

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 June 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
The thing is...I am living IN Ireland, and IN Galway... I know all these places...!!  I have found a few records online, but Irish baptisms, marriages and burials are expensive...5.00 euro a pop...and no way of really narrowing down the possibilities.

I am hoping to ask a few questions of living relatives to try and get a few more leads.  And then I really should perhaps visit the churches of these places, and see if I can find the records myself.

What other records are available for Boston?  I'd like to try and find out Peter's wife's maiden name etc.

Regarding Mark & Annie...it's odd that we can't find Annie going over, and if she did, (which she must have to appear on the 1910 census!) did she come over at all with the children?