Author Topic: Your expert opinions please - What is it?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Your expert opinions please - What is it?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 08:46 BST (UK) »
Not directly connected, but I think relevant to the quality of photography available in the mid to late 19th century is the fact that during the siege of Paris in 1870 microfilmed copies of newspapers etc. were flown into the besieged city by carrier pigeons and enlarged and read by the in habitants.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi again Genie

I've been looking at the image again and, although I can't say for definite without seeing the original, I think it's a reprint enlargement (probably 1880s-90s platinum print)   of an 1850s photo that's been heavily over drawn/painted.

As I said, it's very like the one that I restored a few years ago - same size, card, overdrawing, etc.

Gadget

See, for example: http://chestofbooks.com/arts/photography/Practical-Photography/Chapter-XIX-Platinum-Printing-Black-And-White.html

PS Just heard from George  and  he agrees with me re the process and dates
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Genie, Gadget and all... just found this thread .... Fabulous Genie ...what a  treasure to have... I remember when I was studying at Scarborough ...a hundred years ago  ;) seeing   a number of copies  of photographs that were called crayon prints from the latter part of he 1800s. Gadget is right ...  they evolved from the first enlargements of photos . As they were always a lot less clear than the original sized ones,  this sytem of enhancing with crayon or fine charcoal was used quite often ... I ve found these examples  and the effects are very similar  to yours Genie ...  the enlarged photos were often outsourced to artists for the touchups ....

http://www.floridamemory.com/photographiccollection/photo_exhibits/photographic-processes/crayon.cfm

Poll :)
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline RecycledHippy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 15:08 BST (UK) »
I hope it is acceptable for me to clean the damage a little
It seems a shame and to tempting to leave it as it is

Hippy :) :) :) :) :)
Please scan all photographs at 300-600 dpi.
Please feel free to colour/modify any restores posted by me.
An acknowledgement would be much appreciated.

Lenoir - Antwerp Belgium
Tippell/Tipple Norfolk/Suffolk border

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
My thanks to;
Gadget and polldoll for sharing their knowledge of early photographic/drawing hybrids and George for his input, 
Redroger for the history of huge enlargements that were used in the 1870's,
RecycledHippy for cleaning up the lady's spots  ;D,
and Pels. for her observation about the lady's age  ;)

I now I have a much clearer idea how it was achieved.
I've taken on board your thoughts about the age of the lady, Pels and I agree. Considering the times in which she lived, she was extremely well preserved. She does look younger than 35.

Just to check I've got my fact's right, please correct me if I'm wrong. Daguerreotype 1839, Ambrotype 1853, Tintype 1856.

So, if this is the lady we think it is, the original, could have been taken in the 1840's.
The original was enlarged to it's present size and reprinted, possibly using the Platinum printing process, then overdrawn with charcoal.

Thanks again to you all. Special thanks to Gadget, with whom I had a tete a tete off line.

genie  :)
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"