Author Topic: James Reid b. 1770 Stirling  (Read 7305 times)

Offline alp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Reid b. 1770 Stirling
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth records for James Reid, my gggrandfather. He was born in Stirling in 1770 and died about 1842.  He was married to Janet Kay.  He was a Wood Merchant.  He had 9 children.  I am trying to find his parents names.  Can anyone help?

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Reid b. 1770 Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Please can you give us the names of his children as this will perhaps hold some clues.
How do you know that he was born 1770 in Stirling? Was it somewhere in Stirling county or Stirling town?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline alp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
I have found records of James Reid on Scotland People and have visited Stirling Records Office.  He was born in Stirling town.  I also have records of his death.  Some of children were John (1815) George Kay (1817). Mary (1819) and Robert Galbraith (1825) this last was my ggrandfather.  Any help?

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information, Alp. You seem to have covered most of the ground already and you have probably seen the James Reid b. 1769, St Ninians, Stirling whose father was also James but I can't get a mother for that one either. Unfortunately 'familysearch.org' has just closed for maintainance so I can't look any further just now. Will have another look tomorrow sometime if no-one else has come up with anything.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Alp
You mention a Robert Galbraith
I have several Galbraiths through my gggrandmothers family connections to them.
R u a member of genes where i have my tree and also on a private programme My family tree.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
And i have connections to the Reid family

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline alp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcie,
Thank you for all that.  I am v. new to Rootschat and not sure what I am doing yet!  However, my father was William Ian Galbraith Reid.  He was born in Tasmania and then came to England but his father, another James, emigrated to Tasmania with his brother and aunt - so I have some history in Scotland and some in Australia.  How are you connected to the Reid family?  My family tree is on Ancestry with a limited one on Genes.  Anne

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 June 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry its taken so long to reply.

my connections are very loosely based through family marriages etc.
Such as my gr grgran was the daughter of Marjory Charles who married James Hutcheon and her mother was Margaret Forbes who married a John Hall whilst her mother Mary Craig married a George Hall and one of their children half sister to Margaret Forbes married a (John? Reid)  Its all on my tree if you get the chance to check it out.
I will pm you.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline patonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 11 01:48 BST (UK) »
Anne, Greetings! I am a great-grandson of Robert Galbraith Reid, and thus one of your 2nd cousins. One of my cousins in Tasmania has a family Bible which gives very detailed information about the marriage and children of James Reid and Janet Key (or Kay). In addition it includes the following record of the birth of James Reid (R G Reid's father). Apparently this was copied from an extract taken from the parish register of Alloa, Clackmannanshire, which (not Stirling) was his birthplace.
"James Reid lawful Son to William Reid Dyer at the Carse Bridge & Mary Ingles [? or Inglis?] his Spouse born 6th March & Baptized the first Sabbath thereafter 1776 An Extract from the Records of the Parish of Alloa this the 6th Feby 1828 by Wm Brodie Sesn[?] Clerk"
If you would like to email me at (*) I could send you photocopies of these pages from the family Bible, and some other information which I have.
Best wishes . . .Bob

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php