Author Topic: John Jones Montgomeryshire  (Read 4181 times)

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Jones Montgomeryshire
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
I have a John Jones born in Montgomeryshire in either 1809/1810/1811. He may be from Meifod the entry on the 1851 Census is difficult to read (see below). He and his wife Alice were at Park Street, Toxteth Park in 1851 and his occupation was Sawyer. I've checked baptism records on the Internet but can't find a match can anyone check for this baptism?

C

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: John Jones Montgomeryshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Looks like Meifod to me:

Pre-1812, the IGI lists the fathers name as the surname in Wales, so no point in searching for surnames in that. Instead, you need to use the batch number reference and search the records by first name and year only. You have these two:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=500178507204&lds=1&region=2&regionfriendly=British+Isles&juris1=&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=500178506722&lds=1&region=2&regionfriendly=British+Isles&juris1=&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=

Looks like you will need to consult wills and other records to find out which is yours.

The IGI batch number are here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyMontgomery.htm#PageTitle
Also some non-conformists you will need to search.

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help David. On the census returns I have John as born in 1809 in 1851, 1810 in 1871 & 1881 and 1811 in 1841 & 1861 so I think the 1809 record is the best candidate. John is also shown to be 3 years younger than his wife Alice on the 1861 census who seems to have been born in 1808.

Cheers,

C

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 10 00:23 BST (UK) »
Also worth mentioning is that there are full transcriptions of the Meifod parish records at findmypast.co.uk, available on the explorer package.

The occupation of the father (if given) or the abode may help you from those records. i.e. one of their fathers might be a sawyer and the other a "private gentleman".

Are you also aware that ages are rounded up to the nearest 5 in the 1841 census? So would agree 1809 is more likely. I find ages at burial/death to be a more reliable indicator of age.

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi David

There are a lot of possibles on FindMyPast parish records for Montgomeryshire 1809, 1810 & 1811. I've had a look at a few records while it was free for a time on Saturday as I don't have a subscription only Pay As You Go credits. The site kept crashing so I didn't have much luck with it. I was looking for John Jones on there should I have been looking for John Thomas in 1809?

C   

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
The FindMyPast site is a bit dodgy and the problem is you can only do county-wide searches so you have to trawl though lots of records to find the right one.

You have the transcripts for Meifod at the familysearch site, so I would imagine he is listed under Jones. You can also buy the registers for Meifod from the Mont. Gen. Soc.

http://home.freeuk.net/montgensoc/pages/pubns.htm

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 June 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
I managed to get through a load of Montgomeryshire baptisms while FindMyPast have their free access World Cup offer. I found the two candidates the only additional information is the place of abode. The John Jones of 1808 is from Maine, Meifod. The John Jones of 1809 is from teirtref, Meifod. I still favour the latter due to the ages/years on the census returns. I would maybe need to find the parents' marriages if possible to check the occupation of the fathers to see if that is anything like John's occupation of sawyer.

C