Author Topic: Beck Hurlbut Mason Newcomb Family Bible (Leicester)  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
Beck Hurlbut Mason Newcomb Family Bible (Leicester)
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
I have a family bible for the BECK family (Alice Beck was nee HURLBUT) and a scan of the records is here:-

http://home2.btconnect.com/ragbag/familyhistory/beckbiblewriting.jpg

In the front of the bible it says

Eliza Mason her Book
Eliza Ma Newcomb her Book
November 11 1866
Steal not this Book for fear of shame
For hear stands the Houners name
Eliza Newcomb

I don't know who Eliza is but the Beck family are my ascendants..

I worked out the following 'tree' to show how the family in the Bible are related to James Beck (1788) + Frances unknown from whom I am descended. Please note that the dates are approximate as I did this using the census only just to see if I could make it work! (excuse the layout - not sure how to set a proportional font here)

James Beck 1788 + Frances ? 1796
      |                 |
      -------------------
        |
        |
Henry Beck (1831) + Elizabeth Canner (1832)
        |                 |
        -------------------
          |
          |
Edwin Henry Beck (1853) + Mary Anne ? (1849)
      |                       |
      -------------------------
        |
        |
Edwin Henry Beck (1874) + Alice Hurlbut (1874)
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: Beck Hurlbut Mason Newcomb Family Bible (Leicester)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
IGI show an extracted record  of Eliza Mason = James Newcomb 6/5/1866 at St Georges Leicester,  no other info shown. Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 June 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
I was given the Bible by my mother who says it's been passed down through our family - it was in a relative's possessions I think...  I have traced my line back to James Beck 1788 but Henry Beck & Elizabeth Canner upwards are not my direct descendants. The main reason I posted here was to share it with anybody that might be interested!

The Bible must have been in the possession of Eliza Mason before she got married and then it must have been passed on to the relative (Coltman family - Leicester) to get to my mother...

Thanks for the additional info Petmas!
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 June 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
I've got a couple of Elizas around that time but neither fit in nor do the othe surnames  although the area is right.
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 June 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Rob, just had a look at FreeBMD, an Eliza Newcomb married at Leicester Sept 1874 to either James Anderson or Joseph Bowdon though I can't see a death for James Newcomb before 1874. Have you either of those names in your trees?

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 June 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
You've got me going now!...

No I don't have either of those surnames so far...

The Beck writing all looks like it was written by the same hand - and possibly at the same time - so it dates around 1900 onwards. The Newcomb/Mason writing was written in two separate entries - the first before Eliza married and the second after (when she started to sign her name as Mason but realised it had changed to Newcomb). So we're looking at 1866-ish.

I need to find out how it got from Mason/Newcomb to Beck/Hurlbut... I bet the Internet will be fast tonight while England play USA in the World Cup! - but can I be torn away?  :)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 June 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
Anything but football...................... There were a load of Mason postings on here a while back for Leicester, nonev of them mine , might be worth using the  search .