Author Topic: Joseph Benjamin GRAHAM  (Read 5158 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joseph Benjamin GRAHAM
« on: Wednesday 09 June 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across Joseph Benjamin Graham, born in Claggan, Tyrone in 1880? In the 1901 census he is referred to as a druggist in Belfast. He emigrated to Canada as he appears in the census there as living in Toronto West at 56 O'Hara Avenue by 1909-1910.
I am told by a relative of his that he was married in 1923 to Elsie Compton born in Minnesota in 1900 and who died in Regina, Canada in 1990. Joseph died in Pangman, Canada in 1960.

If anyone can throw any further light on this Joseph Graham, who may have been referred to as Benjamin or Ben, I shall be most appreciative.
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Benjamin GRAHAM
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Have checked the 1901 census and am confusioned as the details I found do not match up with what you've posted.

1901 census shows a Joseph Graham, chemist and druggist, living at Victor St. (Ormeau D.E.D.) which is in Belfast but this Joseph is 64 years old and has a wife Eliza (age 56)- both born in Co. Tyrone.

I did the initial search for 'Graham' with occupation 'druggist' and the only other result was for a Hugh Graham, boarder with McCandless family Meeting St., Dromore, Co. Down. Hugh was single and born in Co.Antrim.

The details of the first entry (Joseph fit your post except for his age) and the details for Hugh fit the age you posted but all the details (except occupation) don't match.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your helpful response. I checked the Canada 1911 census but not the Ireland 1901 as my reliable informant is from there! I have checked again what she found, and it may be she has confused two people, possibly father and son. She is definite that she found Joseph Graham living at Fitzroy Avenue, Belfast, and listed as an Apprentice to a Druggist or Chemist. His age would have been about 21. He does not appear in the 1911 census for Ireland as I am sure he emigrated to Canada around 1905-1907. I am now looking through the passenger lists to Canada.
Thank you again.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Your Graham BEN is in the 1901 census, living in house no. 76 Fitzroy Avenue. Age is about correct as is occupation but he states that he was born in Co.Derry.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your helpful message. I thought that Benjamin or Ben could well be used instead of Joseph. I must look carefully using those names. I shall also investigate the Tyrone/Derry issue as Joseph's relative believes he was born in Tyrone.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
The Ben Graham, age 19 in 1901 is apprenticed to a chemist so occupation does fit. In the same household is a Jeannie Graham age 20 also born in Co. Derry so she might be related.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Fitzroy_Avenue/969410/

Irish civil index has a possible birth-
Joseph Benjamin Graham Oct./Dec.1881 Magherafelt district (Co. Londonderry), volume 1 page 682.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Your Graham BEN is in the 1901 census, living in house no. 76 Fitzroy Avenue. Age is about correct as is occupation but he states that he was born in Co.Derry.
Regards

I have enquired further about the Derry/Tyrone issue. Joseph was born in Claggan, about 5 miles from Cookstown, and in Tyrone, but it is on the cusp of Tyrone and Londonderry. This probably explains why he wrote Derry on the census form.

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
The Ben Graham, age 19 in 1901 is apprenticed to a chemist so occupation does fit. In the same household is a Jeannie Graham age 20 also born in Co. Derry so she might be related.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Fitzroy_Avenue/969410/

Irish civil index has a possible birth-
Joseph Benjamin Graham Oct./Dec.1881 Magherafelt district (Co. Londonderry), volume 1 page 682.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

Thank you. I am certain you have the right person there, and the addition of the two young women with the name Graham is interesting and helpful.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
I have enquired further about the Derry/Tyrone issue. Joseph was born in Claggan, about 5 miles from Cookstown, and in Tyrone, but it is on the cusp of Tyrone and Londonderry. This probably explains why he wrote Derry on the census form.

Still a bit of confusion here. There are several townlands in Co. Tyrone called Claggan but found teh bit in Cookstown Poor Law Union you probably mean. SeanRuad shows 2 listing but it's possibly 1 townland split between 2 civil parishes (83 acres in Artrea parish and 179 acres in Derryloran parish).
However, a birth which took place in Claggan, Co. Tyrone would appear as Cookstown registration district and the birth record I found is for the Magherafelt registration district. It's possible, of course, that Joseph was born in Magherafelt area but reared in Claggan which is why the family think he was born in Claggan.