Author Topic: Richard James m Marie Eriksdotter, Sweden  (Read 1309 times)

Offline BKJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard James m Marie Eriksdotter, Sweden
« on: Wednesday 09 June 10 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I am looking for the parentage of Marie Eriksdotter.
I have an unconfirmed birth year of 1814/15 in Oudinefs, Karlsburg, Sweden.
She married Richard James in Sweden and had a son, Richard, in 1837 before travelling back to Cornwall, Engalnd. Their next son was born in Cornwall in 1841, so they must have left sweden before then.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

Offline lesB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Richard James m Marie Eriksdotter, Sweden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I surmise Karlsburg & Oudinefs  was probably written phonetically by an English person, however it may mean something to people dealing with Sweden on a full time basis.

As you have an approximate time for emigration they may very well locate Marie from their emigration records.

You will need Parish & County of where she was born or where she was living before she  left for England.

Les

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi BKJ
An old post here. Have checked your tree and it looks as though you haven't solved this yet. Can I look at a scan of the place names please.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Well, I am pretty sure it would be Undenäs Karlsborg. Funny thing is that I live only 40 mins away.

Ian

Offline BKJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian,

Thank you for your recent reply and wow you live so close.

I will need to look into the details again, but the marriage and birth of her first child was recorded in Sweden. I remember finding this on a fiche a long long time ago!

Let me know what you need to have in order to look into this further for me.

Beth

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth.

When was Mary born? According to her death certificate she was 98 years old, which means if she died in 1903 she was then born in 1805. According to the 1841 census she was 23 years old, then born in 1818. And in your tree she was born 1814/15.
I have access to the Swedish Church Books and have already looked for her in Undenäs in these years. There are no Maria or Marie's with father's name Eric, but a number of Maja's.

According to the 1841 census Richard sr was a copper miner. Was he a copper miner before he left for Sweden or did he come back as a miner, in which case he may have learnt his trade here in Sweden. There were many copper mines in the middle of Sweden at that time. Also I think Cornwall had tin mines at that time.

According to your tree Richard jr was born in Jönköping. Where did you get this info from. I have checked the books for him there with no result.

Ian