Author Topic: Cormadaduff  (Read 2163 times)

Offline suedel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cormadaduff
« on: Wednesday 09 June 10 06:05 BST (UK) »
I have had trouble finding the birth place of an ancestor - Cormadaduff in Co. Cavan.  My ancestor  Bridget Reilly was born there in 1868.  Would anyone know if that would now be Corduff?

Thanks  :)
Hurst - Berks/Oxfordshire   Clark - Edinburgh/Scone   Pullar - Perth    Delemore - Westmeath   Reilly - Cavan   Parrish - Essex/London  Godfree - London  Denegri - London/Genoa, Italy     Henderson - Northumberland  Pitts - London   Eveleigh - London   Eiler - Germany   Grater - Germany    Garland - London   Jobson -Alnwick   Kirk- Alnwick/Sheffield      Talbot - Harwell   Belcher - Hendred   Gratrex - London   Ley, Gregory, Harris - Devon   Tibbs, Thomas - Cornwall   Justice - Perthshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Cormadaduff
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
There's two townlands named Cormaddyduff in Co. Cavan that could fit. One of them is shown on Google maps - see Cormaddyduff, Co. Cavan

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
Suedel, , we used to live in Cormaddyduff House, this is located mid way on the road from Eighter to Mullaghmore on the map in Shaness post, i presently live next door to the local chapel, St Marys, Castlerahan, this would have been the place where they probably attended if they were Catholic.
If you have more details of the family i could look at he grave yard and possibly speak to the local priest for more info.
                                                  bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline suedel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for your replies and much needed help. Bodger, that is so kind of you.  Yes, they were Catholic. I would really appreciate it if you could look. 

Bridget Reilly came to New York in 1885.  I think she was travelling with a James Reilly and a Mary Reilly.  Their ages looked a little young to be her parents (1835 and 1836)but I think the records were just not accurate. Bridget has a birth date of 1866 but I think that is a bit out as well.  On her naturalisation forms she put her birth date as 1868.  I think this is accurate but there is no month I am afraid.  One of her children had a sponser called Matthew Reilly.  This could be a brother?

Once again, this is truly great of you.

Sue

Hurst - Berks/Oxfordshire   Clark - Edinburgh/Scone   Pullar - Perth    Delemore - Westmeath   Reilly - Cavan   Parrish - Essex/London  Godfree - London  Denegri - London/Genoa, Italy     Henderson - Northumberland  Pitts - London   Eveleigh - London   Eiler - Germany   Grater - Germany    Garland - London   Jobson -Alnwick   Kirk- Alnwick/Sheffield      Talbot - Harwell   Belcher - Hendred   Gratrex - London   Ley, Gregory, Harris - Devon   Tibbs, Thomas - Cornwall   Justice - Perthshire