Author Topic: Quew  (Read 946 times)

Offline Pom

• RootsChat Extra
  • We are all equal
    • View Profile
Quew
« on: Wednesday 09 June 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
hi Ken I wounder if you could help me in any way?  I have family members that were named 'Quew' from the Hampshire area of Alverstoke and Portsea (Their name was at one time 'Kew' but my Great x 4 Granddad born c 1798 changed the spelling on joining the Army/Navy ). I do know that James (1) became a pensioner and may have resided at the Navel home Greenwich (He was also at some time 'The Keeper of The Royal Barge before he was pensioned off.) His Son James (2) died of fever overseas during one of  the China opium wars died c1853.
I really would appreciate any information that you or anyone else could find out for me about these two chaps. To save anyone spending time on looking for later family members , I do have the details of the "Quew' family members who served in both 1914-18 and 1939-1945 wars.
Thank you in advance. :)
Beeley Corner Deakin Hawtin Hemmings Jubber Maber Manley Pounder Quew Scorer Snowdon Trotter Wood

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quew
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
There does not appear to be anything available online under the name Quew. Here is a link to researching RN service records and pension records at Kew, but you will have to visit:

= http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=39#1

If he lived in Greenwich Hospital he would have been an in-pensioner. As you can see you need a rough idea of when he was a pensioner. If he was Keeper of the Royal Barge it might be worth contacting Greenwich Hospital to see if they have any information about that. But they may just refer you to Kew.

For service records:
= http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=41

It says you need a ship's name. If someone on this site doesn't have a casualty roll or medal roll for that China War you could try the British Medal Forum. Both rolls should give you the ship and his service number of the son

Ken