Author Topic: Doel - Alcorn 1846 marriage  (Read 21933 times)

Offline AlKar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doel - Alcorn 1846 marriage
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 July 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, you're right. Dennis was an uncle to Charles Durning. I will send you my E mail address under separate cover. 

Offline AlKar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 21 October 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
To Derrylass
re your previous post re William Alcorn and Margaret Doyle, and birth of their son Thomas.

I have since learned that our William Alcorn and Margaret Doel Alcorn (Horn Head - married 1846),  had a large family, and one of their sons was named Thomas. There may be some substance to your suggestion. Thanks.

(Of course it appears that every Alcorn family had a William and a Thomas).

Offline MrManJezza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »
To AlKar in particular

This is my first post as I have just started to become interested in the history of the Alcorn Family of Horn Head Co Donegal.  William Alcorn and Margaret Doel are my Great-great-grandparents.  Some oral history that we recorded (a few years ago) had her name as 'Duall' but I do not want to start a new thread about this and am happy to go with Doel or Doyle or Dowell.  I hope that the information that follows is not old news to this thread and I must stress that what follows is oral history that I picked up which I have not been able to substantiate with any records.

The information I have (and it may well be apocryphal) is that William Alcorn was the only son of a family of 10.  It appears  that he had two older sisters Johanna and Frances and seven younger sisters whose names are not known.

The second part of the story is that William was ostracised from his family for marrying Margaret.  Once again I stress that this is apocryphal.  The story is that  Margaret was "the tidewatcher's daughter" or "the tidekeeper's daughter". The tidekeeper was employed by the landlord on that part of Horn Head (Stewart I believe) to look out for flotsam that would wash up on the beach to which he was entitled as the landlord.  This deprived the tenants of the land of an extra  source of income and/or goods, therefore the "tidekeeper" or "tidewatcher" was an unpopular figure in the neighbourhood.

The story goes that when William and Margaret married they left the family home at Lower Claggan and moved to upper Claggan, to what would appear to be the land occupied by William Alcorn at the time of the 1857 Griffith's Valuation.  This land is still owned by my branch of the Alcorn Family (Margaret, the widow of my uncle George who passed away last year).

The above information was mainly sourced from some oral history I picked up in about 1979 when I visited Horn Head and spoke with Andy "Rooney" Alcorn who would have been a nephew of your wife's father John as was my father William "Gusty" Alcorn.

Thanks for the work you have done so far on this AlKar and others. Getting a wedding date for William and Margaret is a big step forward for me. Also, I particularly enjoyed the YouTube Video of Great-uncle John of whom I have heard so much.  As I stated at the beginning of this I have just started to become interested in the Alcorn family history again and would be happy to share any information I have picked up with anyone else reading these posts.

Offline AlKar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to hear from you! I will forward my E mail address to you, and we can then correspond further, and exchange information. Thank you RootsChat. AlKar 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
New members usually need 2/3 posts to use PM (personal message) system
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AlKar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
MrManJezza,
Please E mail me at (*), and I will then E mail you further family information.
AlKar

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline MrManJezza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 02 January 11 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear AlKar

Very good to hear from you and thank you for being so prompt. 

I am keen to get in touch with you but I do not appear to have the credentials to send a personal message as I am a new user of RootsChat.  I don't want to get you or myself in trouble so I will try to contact you via  YouTube.

Offline AlKar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 January 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that Mr. Doel was brought to Horn Head to be the "Tide Watcher" for the landlord. This may explain why the name was not native to Horn Head or Dunfanaghy. I hope everyone found this story as interesting as I have. Thanks to all.

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 March 12 19:35 GMT (UK) »
William Alcorn 1811-June 1889 married Margaret DOYLE 1821- April 1891 in St. John's C of I, Ballymore on 22 Feb 1846.
His father Gustavious Alcorn ( many in the area named this after the King of Sweden) her father William Doyle ( farmer on M/C).
Holy Trinity C of I in Dunfanaghy records their burials so probably buried in the Dunfanaghy graveyard - there is no gravestone.
I have 5 children born to them - with Augustus born 1848 died April 1921 married Isabella Stewart on 22 Feb 1877 in Holy Trinity,  Dunfanaghy.
I would be interested in the story of the 10 siblings of William - I know he has a sister Joanna who married Henry Connolly of the coastguard.
If you can contact me direct, I have oodles of info.
Regards
David Beck