Author Topic: MacLeod North Uist.  (Read 2849 times)

Offline superdude

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacLeod North Uist.
« on: Thursday 10 June 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
Im looking help in tracing my great grand father. I know he was born  godfrey macleod in "Tighan"  on the 31 may 1879.I dont know if this is a long lost township or a croft name. Any help in this would be great. His parents were called Donald & Catherine MacLeod nee MacDonald.  Any help at all or any information on Donald & Catherine would be a great help or if you could tell me where to start. I should also say that godfreys birth was registered in dunskellar.  Thank you.

Offline Dragonluva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeod North Uist.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 20 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand. You posted a long time ago so don't know whether you are still tracing your MacLeod family in North Uist or not, but I have ancestors of the same name from that area. If you are still interested I would like to hear from you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 20 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I see that the birth of Godfrey MacLeod was registered in North Uist in 1879.

Where did 'Dunskellar' come from? Was it perhaps the address of the Registrar? It is in the northern part of North Uist, beside Sollas. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.65251&lon=-7.34883&layers=5&b=1

'Tighan' is possibly a misspelling or anglicisation of 'tighean', which is the Gaelic for 'houses'. So perhaps neither a township nor a croft name.

Godfrey's birth certificate tells you the date and place of Donald and Catherine's marriage. Their marriage certificate will tell you the full names of all Godfrey's grandparents including his grandmothers' maiden surname.

Godfrey is in the 1891 census in North Uist, with mother Catherine, 49, sister Mary, 21, and brothers Donald, 14, and Lachlan, 13. Although their father is not listed, Catherine is recorded as married rather than widowed so presumably Donald is away from home.

There's a family boarding in Glasgow in 1881 that looks like Godfrey's although (the transcription I am looking at) says he was born in Glasgow:
Catherine McLeod, 43, born Inverness-shire
Donald McLeod, 35, born Ross and Cromarty
William McLeod, 12, born Inverness-shire, Tichar G
Mary McLeod, 9, born Lanarkshire Glasgow G
Ronald McLeod, 7, born Lanarkshire Glasgow G
Donald McLeod, 4, born Lanarkshire Glasgow G
Lachlan McLeod, 3, born Lanarkshire Glasgow G
Godfrey McLeod, 1, born Lanarkshire, Glasgow
I think I would want a look at the original of that census to see what it actually says.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dragonluva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 20 01:00 GMT (UK) »
My McLeod connection in North Uist is Christina who married Donald MORRISON, they had Finlay, Duncan, Flora (my great grandmother), John, Lachlan and Angus. The children were born around 1835 through to about 1851. All the children came to New Zealand between 1857 and 1872, their parents did not come with them.

Offline Handeagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 22 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi superdude

Your post is quite old now so you may have found all this out in the meantime.
Donald MacLeod is from Scalpay in Skye(b 1842). His parents are William MacLeod and Catherine McInnes. Catherine MacDonald (1839-1921) is from Tigharry, North Uist the daughter of Ranald MacDonald (1813-1891) and Mary MacLean (1819 - 1876).
They met married in Glasgow on 3/12/1867. He was working on the railways and she was a domestic servant. They appear to have lived in Govan up until 1878 when they move back to North Uist. On Godfrey's BC Donald gives his occupation  as Fisherman. He joins the Merchant Navy at some point after this. The family move back to Govan at some point after 1891. Catherine and the children are on the 1891 Census in Tigharry, presumably Donald is at sea.
They had three other Children Mary b. 1870, Donald (1877 - 1956, my GGF), Lachlan (b. 1878)
By 1901 census they are back in Govan with Lachlan and Godfrey living at 15 MacLean Street. Mary and Donald are married at this point Mary is in North Uist but Donald is at Stephen Drive Govan.
I have Godfrey Married to Susan and their three children on the 1911 census living at 19 MacLean Street Govan

I was told that Godfrey was named after the Doctor. Not sure how true it is though.

Offline Handeagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 October 22 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Just had a look at the census from 1881 that Forfarian mentioned and that is them. Based on Donald's place of birth and occupation. I assume William and Ronald had left home by 1891. This also ties in with the oldest boy being named after his paternal Grandfather and the next oldest being named after his maternal Grandfather.

Thanks Forfarian for the pointer to the new info.