Author Topic: Christian name - RIDGWAY/RIDGEWAY - Stoke on Trent  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Bryt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Christian name - RIDGWAY/RIDGEWAY - Stoke on Trent
« on: Monday 28 March 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
If you have a male with the christian name of Ridgway/Ridgeway in your tree, you will most probably be related to me...
It is (so I've been told) peculiar to the Sharp(e) family.

Seeking all connections please.  :)
RIP August 2006  Sharp.. Colclough.. Allen.. Leach.. Bromley.. Rawlinson.. Ridgway.. Locker.. Pott.. Burton.. Hartshorne.. Renshaw.. Steele.. Wattison.. Dawes.. Spode.. Hurlstone or Earlstone.. Hill or Warren Hill.. Adams.. Poole.. Wheat.. Griffin.. Machin.. Jones.. Worsdale.. Baggott.. Plant.. Bennett.. Mansfield.. Challinor.. Lear.. Loud.. Passmore(Sedgley).. Bradley(Lower Gornall/Northumberland)..

All Stoke on Trent unless stated otherwise.

Offline Jimp

• RootsChat Extra
  • " Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp...
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking connections to christian name of RIDG(e)WAY - Stoke on Trent
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 08:22 BST (UK) »
I have a Blythe Ridgeway Sparrow b. 1881 in Basford.  Parents George Sparrow / Eliza Rosson. Any connection ? It would be of great interest to know where thr name came from.
Pearson, Atherton, Joys,Webster, Cooling, Milner, Crowther, Bonsell, Taylor, and  a lot more

Offline Bryt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your interesting reply.  Now - if I can find a female Sharp(e) married to a 'Sparrow' that would make a link! Fingers crossed.....
RIP August 2006  Sharp.. Colclough.. Allen.. Leach.. Bromley.. Rawlinson.. Ridgway.. Locker.. Pott.. Burton.. Hartshorne.. Renshaw.. Steele.. Wattison.. Dawes.. Spode.. Hurlstone or Earlstone.. Hill or Warren Hill.. Adams.. Poole.. Wheat.. Griffin.. Machin.. Jones.. Worsdale.. Baggott.. Plant.. Bennett.. Mansfield.. Challinor.. Lear.. Loud.. Passmore(Sedgley).. Bradley(Lower Gornall/Northumberland)..

Offline Jimp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks. The other family forenames used in the Sparrow family were - Barrington, Acton, Manley, Arden, Rosson, as well as Ridgeway. I've got leads all except Ridgeway and Acton.
Pearson, Atherton, Joys,Webster, Cooling, Milner, Crowther, Bonsell, Taylor, and  a lot more

Offline Bryt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
Well, I've found only one male Sparrow married to a female Sharp(George and Ann married in Leeds 1860) - but I have no Ann Sharp in my tree, and apart from that none of my ancestors ever seemed to leave Stoke!
What were Eliza & George's mother's maiden names?

The story goes in my family that the surname Ridg(e)way was in danger of dying out (I assume it meant there was just an unmarried female Ridgway left or she died) so the name was brought into the Sharp(e) family as a christian name. The Ridgway name is thought to be connected to the family of potters of that name. 
I would have thought that the odds of you having the same scenario in your family were a bit steep, but then, you never know!

Offline Jimp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks. The parents of Blythe Rigeway Sparrow, George Sparrow was born Sandbach 1842 and his parents were William Sparrow B. 1806 and Mary Arden 1809. His mother was Eliza Rosson b. 1843 St Albans and her parents were Thomas Rosson b. 1815 and Hannah Barrington b. 1807.
My suspicions were that the Ridgeway name came from the Rosson side of the family, but so far I can't get beyond Thomas Rosson.

Offline Bryt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 12:41 BST (UK) »
OK Jim.  I have so many female Sharp(e)'s in my tree that I still need marriage info on.  If anything comes up, I'll let you know. Happy hunting!  :)

Offline Bryt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again. I've been ferreting around on the basis that one of my female Sharp's married one of your males, in the Cheshire area, and have come up with:
Ann Sharp married Sep 1846 Congleton volume 19, page 80
Hannah Sharp married Dec 1850 Congleton volume 19, page 104.
So, at least we have 2 female Sharp's 'going into' or 'originating' in Cheshire.
The record doesn't make it clear who they are marrying. My thoughts are that IF (and its a big if) either of these two were connected to my Sharp's somewhere, they would know of the name Ridgway.

Best I can do at the moment. I do not yet have an Ann or Hannah in my tree.
Best wishes.