Author Topic: Link: unpublished Kirkheaton church transcripts 1538 to 1652  (Read 16878 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: unpublished Kirkheaton church transcripts 1538 to 1652
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 June 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

May as well put finding on here for all to see than PM messages.

When all chantries were abolished
by the government in the mid- 16th century, this one,
which had for long served as a burial place for the
Beaumont family, was taken over by them as their private
chapel.
The medieval chapel was shorter than the present
one: it did not extend so far eastwards. But within a
century of taking over the chapel the Beaumonts had
enlarged it to its present size; the east window, seen
through the archway on the right-hand side, belongs to
this work. The precise date of enlargement is not known,
but the work may be associated with the burial here of
Sir Richard Beaumont in 1631,

http://www.archaeology.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archaeology/newsletters/KirkheatonChurch.pdf
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
The problem with Kirkheaton is that the records could be any where. The Beaumont's the main titled family of the area kept some records, I think them went south with the family. The Armitage's of Hartshead kept some records and they too went down south somewhere and the Tolson family kept some records and I think they went to Cumbria with them.
The court you could be referring to is the Kirkheaton Court Leet this was a baronial court and it was still going in the 19th century. To confuse things even more the De Lacy family of Pontificate were the Barron's in charge so that could be another place to look.
Sorry I can't help but you could try the Kirkheaton on line parish websit.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Is there a particular person or family who you are looking for in the Kirkheaton parish registers?
Do you know which part of Kirkheaton they lived in? That would narrow down which set of deeds you would need to look at.

I have some family interests in Kirkheaton and I found that the deeds, court rolls and wills are a good source of information in the absence of parish records.
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi John and Sstar

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

My own family has been done years ago being Beaumont! Their is a disable lady in South Wales who will never get up to Yorkshire because of her age & doing her North family - I'm helping her! We have traced them  back to John son of George North bapt  in 1604 Kirkheaton -There is  a George Northe of Heaton  Parish and Mary Miller Halifax marriage 1593 in Halifax and George of George North in Halifax  abode Heton  Whitley bapt 1579 Thus we think it him!  but not 100% The Church website say Kirkheation parish started about  15th century but a chapel had been there earlier. What I have read! The Heton, Hopton and Mirfield familes ruled the roosts and owned the land along with the Beuamont's of Whitley Hall and Lacelles Hall also connections with Wentworth hall. In 1565 Kirkheaton was called Westheton/ Eastheton & Ardislow and came under Mirfield Parish & Thornhill parish both of Dewsbury- old doc's and deeds support this. So it really gets comfusing as other evidence  says as John says. A2A archives have a lot about it all and we have a Lease doc that has Edward-Lawrance-George -Christopher and Thomes North of Boye Fall (Now Boyfe Hall farm) and Heaton Hall of Westheton in 1565 and there are other transactions in 1565 again relating to Westheton & Mirfield
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
With the help of Lenny Beaumont a genealologist doing the 'Beaumont's of Yorkshire' research! has found futher info what of Sharon found on the web.:-as below

Society of Genealogists

KIRKHEATON : M(I) 1538-1660 addenda to Boyd's marriage index [Typescript.] 
  Published , Nd. 
  Acc. no. GE1623       
  Location Apply to library staff    Shelf mark Box 78/folder 7

Therefore if this is correct? and we know there was a church register before 1653 (as Miro film/Fiche at the Huddersfield library and Wakefield WYAS archive keeper repository of the original 1653 Kirkheaton parish register) as the Bishops Transcritions was  copied from the Kirkheaton Church register 1600 to 1653 for the Bishop. This is why I think there is a register in the mid  16th cenutry to 1600 or a Transcription of it made in the 17th/18th century.

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
I have seen the bishops transcripts book at YAS, it is a handwritten book made by one of the Tolsons from loose sheets which were discovered in Kirkheaton church. It also has some Kirkheaton wills.

I have a transcript of the Kirkheaton bishops transcripts from 1600 to 1616 and I see that there seems to be only one George North and he was buried 19th March 1609.

I have Norths on both my parents sides of the family but I haven't got very far with them.
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:44 BST (UK) »

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 09:32 BST (UK) »
Let see if we can clear the origins of Kirkheaton up.
Kirkheaton was known as Heaton or has the locals called it Yetton. The oldest headstone now to be found in the graveyard is dated 1624, but people were being buried here long before that. The church dates back to the Saxon times and the village was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The De Heaton headstone, which is believed to date back to 1218, is now situated in the church, and there is a lot of even earlier evidence too. Part of an Anglo-Saxon cross was found during rebuilding work, dating back to the 9th century. This, along with several gravestones from the same period can now be seen in the local Tolson Museum. The footprint of Kirkheaton church was used as the plan for Mirfield and the main church in the area was Dewsbury.
The lands were given to the De Lacy family after the conquest and they were based at Pontefract. The best sauces of information is the Tolson book on Kirkheaton but there aren't that many copies so you would struggle to find it. If you want to know anything more about the area you could try getting in touch with the parish office and obtaining the burial tour booklet and the walk booklet.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for your valuable input!

As you said earlier that there is information all over the place! in many repositories! They have 2 copies of the Kirkheaton Tolson book in he Huddersfield library and makes interesting reading also info at the Tolson museum. There is alot of information of in  various book volumes  of YAS Claremont House Leeds containing Wills, deeds, leases, poorlaw, big family letters (Seville's etc) and Indexs and most are hidden away in the back room at the library with no catalogue or reference only the Liberians knowledge. Then there are Borthwick at York, YAS Leeds and WYAS in different towns with there collections.  Therefore when you find a repository? then as above with Huddersfield library it another job finding what they have and where to find it. Then if its like Borthwick if you manage to conker their  complicated indexing!, you find a film/fiche say a Will that needs deciphering or a translation into a readable form only if you have some knowledge of the lettering used them days which can take a while to decipher if its English or Latin.
Mind you this depends if you can see it to read the image in the first place.

Last time I went to Borthwick I took one look at the Will (No Chance) on Film-put it back and had a boat trip on the river instead! then drove up to Bolton Abbey and called at Halifax and fish & chips then watched a Easterners video I had recorded.

But one tries :-[ easier to do one off parish look ups at the libraries for Rooter finders and odd graves.
Dave