Author Topic: Dunkirk Lists Help  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dunkirk Lists Help
« on: Friday 11 June 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
Assistance required in locating a list of ships and masters used in the Dunkirk Evacuations. (Possibly called the Dunkirk Lists)

I am looking for a Capt Fredrick SAXBY, b.1896, Sheerness.  he may have been the skipper of a vessel named either MV Magician or HMS Magician.

Fredrick was the Senior Admiralty Pilot at Chatham Dockyard from 1939 - 1956.
Prior to 1939 he was based in Malta.

Thank You.

Bilge
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dunkirk Lists Help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
I have found out a little more information but still would like some help or guidance for further research. HMS Magician was built i believe by Ailsa Ship Builders in 1939 to replace ageing Naval ferries that ran between Chatham and Sheerness. HMS Magician was passed to the Army and used as a hospital ship. She was returned to the Royal Navy in 1945, and renamed Magician II. Finally being scrapped in 1952.
Does anyone know anything about this vessel and its history?
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives