Author Topic: Stride/Flower  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stride/Flower
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 June 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Oh Monica, now I'm totally confused.

Looking at the entries, there seems to be one woman getting progressively grander -
Sophia Stride on one tree becomes
Sarah Sophia Stride on another tree, then
Sarah Sophia Charlotte Stride,
and seems to have married Walter D'Orsay Hodge in 1880.   If that's the Sophia that Scrap is looking for I can see where the Scotland impression came from, as he was born in Scotland.
But if she married him in 1880, is she the same woman as in Peckham with Charles Louis and May in 1891?   
And if she is, who was Mr Flower?
How many of them are there?

- OK, answered my own questions.   Have found the pictures attached to May Flower, and realised I'd been confusing the two Sophia's - I think it was the Scottish and Australian connections that did the damage.   Sarah Sophia Charlotte is a totally different person - some of us are just a bit slow.

p.s. this is lot more fun than watching football though..
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 June 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
I'm in Scotland watching the football. England are 1-0

I really don't take any notice of these Ancestry Trees - so much unsubstantiated rubbish, in my opinion,  and they  should not be used to back up anything at all unless they are fully sourced.

Enjoy the searches based on thin air  - I've done my bit  :)

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 June 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Trees are what they are Gadget, some wrong and unsubtantiated, some the result of someone's long detailed extensive research which they are happy to share.

Not sure what the 'thin air' that you are referring to is blowing in from  ::) The tree I have been looking at has a lot of the info covered here and extensive info on son Charles (likely this is the descendant's line).

What no one has been able to crack so far is who is James Flower and if there was a marriage, regardless of the couple of marriage photographs obviously held the family.

Enjoy the match, I am sure Scraps will be delighted you found the birth registrations of the two children.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 June 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
As I said, Monica, they have to be fully sourced and are obviously not,  given the birth reg that I' ve found.

No problem  :)

Gadget xxx
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 June 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Oh dear   :-\

Just had a detailed look at the marriage photo- I would say that it's late 1910s - 1920s vintage, definitely not 1880s, look at the hemlines:

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/17881891/person/623048986/media/1

Other info here\;

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/17881891/person/570344663?ssrc=

Gadget

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Take a look at the picture on the linked page for May Flower though.    That's a picture of Sophia with Charles and May as small children and the style of dress, and everything else, is spot on.
I'm not sure they are pictures of the same lady
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Gadget, your experience on the photo restoration board I am sure will be a great help  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
No problem with the other photos - just the  marriage photo doesn't fit at all with the dates/ages.

I'm not sure who this James Flower was but he wasn't  with the family  in 1891 and why was Sophia's surname Stride and not Flower   :-\

I think we've all seen such entries before  :-\ :-\

Gadget

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 June 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it is as simple as Sophia marrying him later, and the children taking his name?
They are down on the Ancestry trees as Charles and May Flower and it would appear from Scraps's original posting that was their name as adults, but it's pretty clear they were born Charles and May Stride.
Did Sophia head for Australia and meet him there, or perhaps meet him before and use his surname on the trip?   If it was the 'met him there' then perhaps the search for the voyage to Australia should have been for Stride, not Flower.
I've just had a quick search for a marriage for the two of them in the UK right up to 1920, based on the photograph - and I don't have anything like Gadget's experience but even I can see that wasn't in the 1880s or 1890s.  I didn't expect to find anything, and haven't.  It was worth a quick double check because a trip to Australia, even then, didn't always mean a one way ticket and no trips back home.
I wonder if it would pay for someone with access to research Australian marriages?