Author Topic: Re: DIAMOND  (Read 45866 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Hanna
« Reply #243 on: Sunday 10 April 11 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kieran

Saw a post you did on a Belfast Forum in April and you refer to a marriage between John P Hanna and Agnes Diamond.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=29659.0

Does that mean that there is Bridget Agnes and Agnes are one and the same ?

Is this Agnes in New York ?

1930 Census Bronx, New York

John Hanna 31 Born England. Father England. Mother N.Ireland.Married at 27 years. Operator. Ind.  ... Railway. Immigrated 1922
Agnes Hanna 27 Born New York of Irish Parents. Married at 25 years.
Plus 2 children. 1 Male John F Hanna 4 th Oct 1927 - 12 April 1993 SSDI Record
1 Female:- Mary E Hanna 19 Oct 1926 - 2004

Your post says "I am looking for the marriage of John P Hanna from Castlewellan Co Down to Agnes Diamond probably around 1901 or so"

Interestingly there is a New York Passenger List for John Hanna which ties in nicely with the immigration date on the above Census.
Name: John Hanna
Arrival Date: 4 Dec 1922 Birth Year: abt 1900 Birth Location: England
Birth Location Other: Battersea .London
Age: 22 Gender: Male. Single at this date. Occupation:- Farm Labourer.
Nationality: Irish
Port of Departure: Londonderry
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Columbia

Father listed as Hugh Hanna. Drumariad. Castlewellan. Co Down. He was going to Uncle John Hanna. 1836 Arthur Avenue. Bronx. New York.

So the marriage quite possibly is in New York about 1925/26 unless I can find another passenger list that puts John Hanna back in Ireland.

What do you reckon to a New York Marriage  ?

Name: John F. Hanna

Last Residence: 10471  Bronx, Bronx, New York.
Born: 4 Oct 1927
Died: 12 Apr 1993

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for all your help.  Remember you found the uncle John Hanna this would tie as he had an uncle born in 1866 to Patrick Hanna and Bridget Doran.  He also had a brother called Charles Patrick born in 1864 and Elizabeth born in 1870.

Can you find out if any of these also came to John and when did he die?

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Hi Kieran,

Did you contact the grandson or grandaughter of John Hanna mentioned in the Obituary I sent for his daughter Mary E Hanna/Barlow - they may be able to give you the details on grandfather John Hanna.  The grandson was still living in Baldwin. New York.  I can see from the UK BMD Index a birth recorded in June 1899 Wandsworth. London but do you have an exact date of birth for John Hanna ?
Bridget Agnes Diamond made a passport application and was issued one through the American Consul in London.  Stated her father Patrick Diamond was still living in New York carrying on business as a Contractor. That he first immigrated about 1890 and has lived uninteruptedly in the US for 31 years - 1890 - 1921. Bridget was legally domiciled in Maghera. Derry. Ireland but her permanent residence was in New York City. She left the USA in 1908 and had lived in Maghera with her Mother. Bridget intended to return to the US within one month of the date may 14th 1921. It states she intends to return to the US in the company of her Mother to reside with her father at 346 East 65 th Street. New York City., Signed at the American Consulate in Belfast on 30th April 1921. Bridget was 20 years old. 5 ft 4 inches. Medium forehead. Straight Nose. Medium Mouth. Round Chin. Black Hair. Ruddy Complexion. and Round Face.
States that although the applicant had no identifying witness - they believed that she was the party referred to in the application through documents submitted by Rev Louis P Bossard of St Jerome's Church. New York showing that the applicant was born on 22 March 1901 and baptised 31 st March 1901. (Also contans a photograph of Bridget Agnes Diamond) It states that she retuirned to Ireland aged 7 years in 1908 because her Mother was ill. Her Mother would now be returning to her father in New York and Bridget required the passport to accompany her to join her father.

Bridget Diamond did travel to the US on New York Passenger List arriving 27th May 1921 on SS Celtic but seemed to be travelling alone.

Nothing jumps out for Charles Patrick Hanna or Elizabeth Hanna that I can see at the moment.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DIAMOND
« Reply #244 on: Sunday 10 April 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for all your help.  Yes i have contacted the grandaughter of John  Hanna.  She doesn't know much about the Hanna conntection at all.  You are seeing John Hanna who was the generation before him.  The one I am tring to find information on is the one the generation before that who was born in 1866 to Patrick Hanna and Bridget Doran.  There are two many John's but this might be the uncle John that John Hanna went out to.  I would be very grateful if you can send me any documents you have been able to find and the photo you found.  Maybe Charles and Elizabeth stayed in the Co Down.

Thansk for all your help

Kieran

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Sunday 10 April 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kieran,

Yes, we did that John Hanna as well starting about reply 38 - married to Margaret - last seen on the 1930 census aged 61 years. Did'nt find any death records or further information on him after that date. Sorry.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Sunday 10 April 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your help.  Maybe John and Margaret ended up either going back to the Co Down or to England?

Will check and see if I can get the in Ireland

Thanks

Kieran

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Sunday 10 April 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Kieran,

My hunch would be that they stayed in New York and possibly died in New York but apart from checking www.italiangen.org there are no other online death records to check. Having just a quick look at the children of John and Margaret I would suspect that these are 2 who stayed in New York.  ???

According to a family tree entry Loretta Elizabeth Hanna born 15 January 1912 Bronx. New York married Joseph James Gleeson April 26th 1936

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0co6/

Loretta Died Nov 1979 in Suffolk County  (Last Residence: 11971  Southold, Suffolk, New York ) and husband Joseph Joseph James Gleeson - Born 9 Jan 1909 in Bronx  - Died Feb 1990 in Suffolk County. The only entry I could find for a Joseph J Gleeson was  -  Joseph J. Gleeson  - Born: 9 Jan 1908  - Died: 14 Feb 1988 (which is slightly different to what the tree entry said )  SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

This SSDI entry could be the son Edmund Hanna. Born 5 July 1919 and Died March 1959
SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

The site below is always worth checking - slow to load but will eventually settle down.

http://www.fultonhistory.com/

Regards
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Sunday 10 April 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Loretta Elizabeth Hanna Burial: Saint Patricks Cemetery Southold Suffolk County New York,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0co7/

and Joseph

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0co8/

May give you another line of enquiry to verify or contact the contributor if you wish.

Regards
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Sunday 10 April 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
Another son of John and Margaret

John P. Hanna  Born 20 Feb 1910 - Died 14 November 1989
Last Residence: 10470  Bronx, Bronx, New York, 
SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Monday 11 April 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Thanks for all yoyur help.  I have thought of another way to find the family.  I know Annie's son Patrick his wife died in May 1974 as it stated in the letter my auntie has.

Could either of these be Patricks wife?

Alice MULHOLLAND - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 8 Jun 1921  State Where Number was Issued: New York  Death: May 1974

Jeanette MULHOLLAND - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 31 Oct 1923  State Where Number was Issued: Illinois  Death: May 1974

Hopefully this might help find them

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for all your help.  I have found out that Patrick Mulholland had a brother called James/ Jimmy and lived in New York.  He never got married so hopefully this might information might help as they are sons of Annie Mulholland nee Diamond.

Thanks for all your help as always

Kieran

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Friday 15 April 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Could be same family 1910 Census Manhattan Ward 12, New York, New York

This was how it was spelt. All children born New York.

James McGaigan 36 Born Ireland Marriage 1 for 12 years. Immigrated 1897. Foreman City Department.
Catharine McGaigan 38 Born New York
James McGaigan Jr 10
John McGaigan 8
Bernad McGaigan 5
Margaret McGaigan 4
William McGaigan 1

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for al your help.  Do you know who James McGaigan father was could it of been Michael McGuigan and Katherine Donoughy?

Thanks for all your help

Kieran