Author Topic: Christopher KNIGHT  (Read 9040 times)

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Knight
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 June 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
Betsy Knight died Mar Qtr
1881 Bodmin Cornwall
Vol 5c p66
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 June 10 08:49 BST (UK) »
Betsy Matthews
Christened 13/4/1818
Blisland Cornwall
Parents Jn Matthews & My

James Knight
Christened 12/6/1815
Roche COrnwall
Parents Anthony & Mary
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 June 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for all the information.  He has been a real problem for some time.  Now I will chase him to South Africa and I can put him to bed, so to speak.

Daree

Offline ridder72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher KNIGHT
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 01:57 BST (UK) »
G'day Daree,

Christopher Knight, was my great,great grandfathers' Henry Knight's little brother.
Henry was born 1854 in Polperro, Cornwall and Christopher was born Feb 17 1857.
I too have struggled to find info this far back. I do know that Henry came to Australia (possibly with Christopher) in the 1870's.
He is rumoured to have gold mined in north Queensland. Henry married in 1882 to a Maria King and they sailed to South Africa and lived there from 1889 to 1896. They had all their children there, and consequently moved back to Australia (Coffs Harbour region).
I have Henrys Family Bible with all his siblings date of births, and I also have his bank account book.
Dearly love to know more about his English background, notably Christopher.

Craig

Offline ridder72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 02:27 BST (UK) »
Actually,

Before Henry Knight moved back to Australia from South Africa, he actually went back to Polperro Cornwall and ran the Ship Inn. He left for Oz in 1904.

Craig

Offline daree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig

Thanks for getting back to me.  Where are you? I am in Sydney Australia.  I have no idea how to find out where and exactly when Christopher died.  He had two daughters here, and obviously they have passed away, but I have tried to contact their descendants to see if they know anything about him or his family, but no luck as yet.  I seem to have more information than they do and I don't think they are that interested. 

Henry married Maria in 1886 in Sydney and died in 1910 in Bellingen NSW.  He had three sons in South Africa and a daughter in UK.  One of his sons, William, died in Sydney, so I guess that some of them came back to Australia, though his daughter Irene did not.  I assume that you have this information.

I would be grateful for anything that you can tell me about Christopher in particular, but the family in general.  I will do what I can at my end if there is something that I can help you with.

Regards  Daree

Offline ridder72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 August 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Daree,

I live in Coffs Harbour.
Henry and Maria lived in Nana Glen (was Nana Creek) and were were buried in Coramba. Consequently a good majority of their descendants are buried their also.
I only know about Christopher marrying Mary, but as for him dying in S.Africa I had no idea. I guess that is why Henry named his third son William Christopher.
Henry and Maria had 4 surviving children. Edwin John Henry 1889(my G great grandfather), Sidney George 1893, William Christopher 1895, and Irene 1899. Irene did live here also. In fact both William and Irene married into the Sharpe family.
Basically the Knights with the Sharpes continued to mine for Gold in the Orara Valley behind Coffs.
Love to know what you have Daree. my email is

Craig

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses, as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline daree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 August 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig

Thanks for getting back.  Such a shame that you do not live in Cornwall, but never mind - ever hopeful of a direct link from the area of origin. I will send you what I have on Christopher and his offspring, as well as what I have on his siblings.  I'm afraid that I do not have as much as I would like, but every little bit helps to create the picture.
Do you have any photos of any of this family.  Christopher, his siblings and/or his parents?  I have photos of Christopher's two daughters, but am still hunting for more.
I will get things off to you shortly.  Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards  Daree

Offline Bronwyn Gray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 July 21 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig I noticed your post regarding the Knight family and it seems we are distant relatives. My grandmother was Irene Sharpe nee Knight and her parents were Henry and Maria Knight nee King. I know that Christopher Knight lived at Coymboyne married Alice Jones Sullivan and had 2 daughters. Regards Bronwyn Gray