Author Topic: Murphy,  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Murphy,
« on: Monday 14 June 10 14:26 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help or send me in the general direction to search for a marriage or any information on the following family.

Thomas Date possibly born Devon, 1813 to 1817 parents unknown,

Bridget Ann Murphy or Nancy , born Carlow 1817 ish to,

Children supposedly born in Carlow.all catholic .

James Date 1837,

Jane 1844,

John 1849,

the family arrived in Canada in 1853,
 all census records in Canada state Thomas was born Ireland ,I think unlikely but would listen to other peoples theories,
Thankyou Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy,
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 14:36 BST (UK) »
You would need to establish a detailed location for the family to properly research church records - i.e. townland, town or parish. The dates available vary from parish to parish and many Catholic parish only started keeping records after the 1830s. See the map on the Irish Times website : Carlow RC Parishes  (click on the map for dates and details of each parish)

Some parish records for county Carlow are due to be added to the (free) Dept. of Tourism website at : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/, but I believe they may be adding the Church of Ireland records first.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane I have just received another piece of information from Canada,

Thomas Date leased or rented land from the Earl of Bessborough in Knocendrane, Fennaghter ,Carlow

1826 and later in 1851,

so Thomas was there after all,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
hi
this is more than likely knockendrane in the parish of fennagh and myshall.
i have transcribed a few pages of the parish birth records in the NLI in Dublin, but have only got as far as 1829.  The records for this area only go back to 1822, though when i get around to his childrens years, if i'll remember i'll tell you.
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline irishbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
ohhhh, I wonder could your James be one of mine

I have a Patrick Murphy born approx. 1855 and his father was called James but is all the information I have on James. 

Patrick was born in Abbeydown, Moyacomb??