Author Topic: RUSSELL (RUSSAL), Mortlach, Banff  (Read 8318 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RUSSELL (RUSSAL), Mortlach, Banff - progressing :)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 June 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi n4mv3t and Monica,

As Monica says, the OPR wouldn't have provided much detail about the parents of James and Jessie. The death certificates will definitely have been more valuable for the information provided.

I had a look to see what state Mortlach's records are/were in ... according to the GRO, the marriage register runs from 1741 to 1819 and then start again 1820 until 1836. After that, it seems there were none taken until official registration started in 1855. :-\ This would certainly explain why there is the lack of a record ... not very helpful, I'm afraid.

http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/research/list-of-oprs.html Parish availability can be found by clicking on the county name; the files are PDFs that can be saved or just viewed through your browser.

hume :)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
... well, a major move forward today ... and all because Monica pointed me in the direction of the Will/Testament (I wouldn't have thought of looking in that direction) ... I have purchased and viewed the Will (9 pages ...  :) ... ) and in it, William names all of his children ... and here's the bonus! ... two have gone to America!! (see below) ... as he doesn't mention his wife (Helen, M.S. Fleming) I would assume she has died before him ... lots of little gems to follow up  :)
CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 02:32 BST (UK) »
hume ... thanks for taking the time to look that up ... very much appreciated ... I have downloaded and looked at them ... and now due to the link you posted I know that there is that resource too ... many thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
From the photo of the gravestone of William and Helen, parents, the inscription reads that Helen died in March 1848 at the farm.

This link is likely to be for one of the people who have their family trees on Ancestry http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=russell-taylor&id=P-1883521871

Gives you an idea  :)

Which child of James and Jessie are you descended from?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
From the photo of the gravestone of William and Helen, parents, the inscription reads that Helen died in March 1848 at the farm.

... that's really helpful, as I had (about an hour ago) found the family in the 1851 census and Helen was missing ... so she died about a year after Adam was born

This link is likely to be for one of the people who have their family trees on Ancestry http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=russell-taylor&id=P-1883521871

Gives you an idea  :)

... yes it certainly does ... you are being soo helpful, thank you

Which child of James and Jessie are you descended from?

Monica

... am descended from James, who married Ann (Annie) McGregor in 1875 ...  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: RUSSELL (RUSSAL), Mortlach, Banff - need help/guidance
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 June 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
I really, really need their marriage cert as I assume it will contain info on their parents

If they married in 1849, there is not and never was a marriage certificate, because there was no such thing in Scotland before the introduction of statutory registration in 1855.

The reason for a missing record of marriage (or, strictly speaking, proclamation of banns) could be any one of many, including poor record-keeping.

In Mortlach in 1849 it could also be because the couple were not members of the Church of Scotland. There were Roman Catholic, Episcopalian and Free Church congregations in that area at that time, and the marriage may not have made it into the Church of Scotland records.

The Moray Local Heritage Centre has tracked down, filmed and indexed most of the non-C of S registers for Moray, and I see from LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp that there isn't a date for the marriage of James Russell and Janet/Jessie Dey, so the likelihood is that the record of the marriage has not survived.

If you do find a marriage record, it is very unlikely to tell you much about the parents in any case. Most registers of banns record only the names of the couple being married. Some add the name of the bride's father, but it's only when it comes to marriages of the gentry that you get the groom's father's name. The names of the couple's mothers are very rarely mentioned at all.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 June 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Forfarian ... many thanks for that information, most helpful ... I have read your posts (to others throughout the board) and you are always helpful and generous with your advice and assistance ... thank you
... as an aside, you posted elsewhere (in answer to another member) advice regarding a Family Tree program ... you suggested TMG and Family Historian ... I have tried both ... and FH suits my brain better  :) thanks

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 June 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
... an update on my progress, and what progress it has been!

... in recent times I have gone from being 'stuck' at Gx2 G/F to now being at Gx7 G/F on my Russell line  :) ... there's still lots of gaps, on side branches, to fill and confirm, but I'm very happy with the Russell part of the result.  :)

... and it all happened because hume ... MonicaLesl and Forfarian 'stepped up' with guidance, assistance and direction for which I am very grateful ... long may rootschat reign!!

... I'll now mark this thread as "COMPLETED" ... am off now to chase down Gan'ma Lockhart's ancestors.  ::) ...  ;D

Offline ART-1967

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RUSSELL (RUSSAL), Mortlach, Banff - "COMPLETED"
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello n4mv3t,

Please get in touch with me regarding the Russells farming at Midton of Buchromb.  I am descendent still living in Scotland and have done heaps of research of this branch.

cheers Alan
Russell from Mortlach/Keith, Scotland
Taylor from Gosforth, Cumberland
Clarke from North Walsham, Norfolk