Author Topic: Cherry Tree Cottage, Lealholm  (Read 1589 times)

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cherry Tree Cottage, Lealholm
« on: Monday 14 June 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
I was recently presented with a Prayer Book with the name John Dale, Cherry Tree Cottage, Lealholm, written on the front page. This was from the house of my late step-aunt in Redcar. Further scriptual entries at the back suggest the owner had a reasonable level of education.
After receiving the book I drove to Lealholm and found Cherry Tree Cottage which from a plaque was evidently built in 1909.
The Prayer Book has dates of Easter starting from 1899 and prayers for King George. This suggests the book was acquired 1912-1920.
A John Dale was my step-grandfather but in 1911 was living in Middlesborough with his 3 daughters, one of whom was my late step-mother. He was a draper but came from a farming family in Danby and Fryup.
Another John Dale (farm labourer) was living in Lealholm in 1911 but not at Cherry Tree Cottage.
I have not been able to find who was living at Cherry Tree Cottage in 1911. It would be helpful to know if there was a John Dale there then. This would be John Dale no.3.
My late stepmother often talked about her early life living in Middlesbrough. There was  never a mention of living at Lealholm although an uncle or cousin Joseph Dale had a farm there and she was a frequent visitor to her Esk Valley relations.
So I wonder whom this John Dale was?
BGB

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cherry Tree Cottage, Lealholm
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 23:24 BST (UK) »
You will need to buy credits & search 1911 census to get the residents.

Search for:
Address   CHERRY
Residence   LEALHOLM

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Pauline
Thank you for your kind reply. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the residents of Cherry Tree Cottage in the 1911 census using various combinations of addresses.
There was a John Dale living in Lealholme at that time but in a different cottage. As there was only one John Dale in Lealholm then whoever was living at Cherry Tree Cottage could not have been a John Dale.
Because of the Book of Common Prayer Matin's service giving prayers for King George, the time of John Dale's residence there must have been after 1911 when King George came to the throne.
Thank you again for your interest.
BGB

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi BGB,

Try John LACY born 1865 in Glaisdale.  Think I'm allowed to give that much information.

Joseph DALE born c1887 in Danby died 7 Feb 1957 at Cherry Tree Cottage, Lealholm.  I believe he was the brother of John DALE born c1882 in Danby who is in Middlesbrough with wife and daughters in 1911, I don't know if this is "your" John DALE

Nannawilk

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Nannawilk,
Joseph Dale of Lealholm was indeed the brother of John Dale (my step-grandfather). I remember visiting Joseph Dale's farm at Lealholm in the 1940s in the company of my late step-mother who was one of the 3 daughters of John Dale of Middlesbrough.
That Joseph died (1957) at Cherry Tree Cottage suggests this cottage had passed into the Dale family.So I wonder who was the John Dale resident there. The father of Joseph and John Dale was a Martin Dale. It may be that a John Dale was a brother or cousin of Martin. It might of course have been the John Dale of Middlesbrough but I can't think to be likely. His home was in Middlesbrough.
What I think I will do now is to obtain a copy of John Dale's marriage certificate and compare his signature to the one in the Prayer Book. I'll also ask around the family - John Dale's daughters are all deceased bu there  are  grandchildren (all now in their eighties) who may know something.
Thank you for your interest. I'll check out John Lacy.
Regards
BGB

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 10 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi BGB

Do you have access to 1911 census? If not it is free during England World Cup match on Friday through Find My Past (I will brave the vuvuzelas but only because it's England!!).  You could compare John's signature from the census with the one in the Prayer Book.  Joseph is with his parents (Martin and Mary Ann) in Thornaby in 1911.

I have Monumental Inscriptions from Lealholm for the above Martin and Mary Ann and for Joseph Dale and his wife Lillie if you'd like details.

Nannawilk

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will have any significance but George 5th came to the throne on 6 May 1910. His coronation was in 1911.

Colin

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Nannawilk
I do have access to the 1911 census but I thought entries were written by the enumerator rather than the person being censored (for want of a better word). So John Dale's signature would not be present on this document but please correct me if I am wrong.
Although you have reported the death of Joseph Dale when a resident of Cherry Tree Cottage, do you happen to know if the father (Martin Dale) was also resident there when he died?
If he were, this would clinch that the John Dale was his son. Maybe he left the cottage to his sons?
I should be interested in the Lealholm MIs although I am not sure how to contact you privately. I've done this in the past but now forgotten.
Kind regards
BGB

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 June 10 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi BGB

The 1911 census is signed by the person completing the form which is normally the head of household.  The signature is at the bottom right hand corner on the original image.  I believe this is the first census which was actually completed by someone other than the enumerator.  John Dale has signed his form.

I don't know where Martin died, only that it was in Lealholm. His wife, Mary Ann, died at Horse House Farm in Lealholm.

I have to go out this morning but will post the Monumental Inscriptions from Lealholm later

Cheers for now

Nannawilk