Author Topic: WESTCOTT ELLIS BENNETT, WATTS, THORNBURY, ROBINSON connections  (Read 4711 times)

Offline mcgyver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WESTCOTT ELLIS BENNETT, WATTS, THORNBURY, ROBINSON connections
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
John Robert WESTCOTT and Elizabeth ELLIS

These are my great grandparents (father's side) and I am trying to find them.

My Grandfather Hector WESTCOTT was born in 1900 in Forbes/Parkes and died at Forbes 11 July 1965. He married Alice BENNETT.  Alice was the daughter of George BENNETT and Mary Ellen WATTS. Alice died at Annandale on 30 June 1951. They are both buried at Parkes Cemetery. George BENNETT died 10 May 1959 and Mary WATTS died 9 September 1960. They are both buried at Parkes Cemetery.

I found a John WESTCOTT born 1867,died 5 July 1937, who is the son of Joseph WESTCOTT, born 7 February 1837 in Highbray, Devon, England, died on 9 August  1919 in Auburn NSW, Australia. He is buried in Alectown, NSW.

This John WESTCOTT married Jane THORNBURY on 7 September 1866 in Forbes, NSW. Jane was christened on 3 September 1844 in Airdrie, New Monkland, LKS, Scotland. Jane died on 21 December 1894 in Kadina, NSW. She was buried in Kadina/Alectown, NSW.

Jane was the daughter of Robert THORNBURY Jnr. born approx. 1815 in Kilmore, Armagh, Ireland and died on 21 Dec 1891 at Mt Pleasant, Parkes, NSW.

Robert THORNBURY Jnr. was the son of Robert and Anne THORNBURY of Kilmore Armagh Ireland. Robert Thornbury Snr. and his sister Sarah Louden (nee THORNBURY) emigrated with their whole families to Australia in1840's. Robert Snr to Forbes/Parkes NSW and Sarah Louden to Victoria.

Robert THORNBURY Jnr.  married Eliza ROBINSON, daughter of Moses and Mary ROBINSON, in approx. 1841 in Ireland. Eliza was born approx. 1819 in Lough Gall, Armagh, Ireland and died on 8 April 1862 in Forbes, NSW. 

But I don't know if I have the right John WESTCOTT.

Can anyone help me with this? :D

All help much appreciated.

Ciao

mcgyver

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: WESTCOTT ELLIS BENNETT WATTS THORNBURY ROBINSON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hullo and welcome to rootschat :)

When you say you " are trying to find them" can you explain a bit more what you mean please?  you seem to have the basic facts about them already.

charlotte

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WESTCOTT ELLIS BENNETT WATTS THORNBURY ROBINSON
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Your topic would probably be better placed on the Australian board where there are experts on records for that country. I can move the topic if you request.

In the meantime starting with Hector's birth

Registration Number  Last Name  Given Name(s)  Father's Given Name(s)  Mother's Given Name(s)  District 
15553/1900                WESTCOTT  HECTOR V F             JOHN                          ELIZABETH E               PARKES 

Do you have the information from this certificate?

Other children for this couple all registered in Parkes registration district

1898 WESTCOTT  CUTHBERT C S  JOHN  ELIZABETH E
1902 WESTCOTT  VIOLET A  JOHN  ELIZABETH E   
1904 WESTCOTT  HUGH L  JOHN  ELIZABETH E     
1907 WESTCOTT  CATHERINE M G  JOHN  ELIZABETH E   

There may be others as the index only goes up to 1909

This looks a likely for John's wife Elizabeth's death registration

Registration Number  Last Name  Given Name(s)     Father's Given Name(s)  Mother's Given Name(s)  District 
32628/1956               WESTCOTT  ELIZABETH ELLEN  HUGH ELLIS                      CATHERINE              PARKES   

John Westcott also died in Parkes registration district - have you obtained his death certificate which lists his birthplace, parents and children and also Elizabeth Ellen's? Similarly have you obtained Jane's death certificate?

What there doesn't appear to be is a marriage in NSW between the couple. Where was Elizabeth Ellen born (details from her death certificate)?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcgyver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Westcott, Ellis, Bennett, Watts, Thornbury, Robinson
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Valda

I really appreciate your help. 

Your information is a great help.  I am  trying to confirm if Hector's father John is the same son of Joseph and Jane Westcott, born in 1867.

You mentioned the Australian Board.  I would appreciate your moving my topic to that board, and if you could let me have their contact info so I can go there.

I'll see if I can find more on Hugh and Catherine Ellis, might shed more light on which John I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, being on a pension can't afford death/birth/marriage certificates. Am trying to do it first without them until I feel I am on the right track at least.

Many thanks once again. :)

Kind Regards
mcgyver

Offline mcgyver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
Dear Charlotte

Thank you for welcoming me to rootschat.

Am trying to expand on the information I do have. Like Hector and Alice's parents etc.

Alice Bennett's parents George Bennett and Mary Ellen Watts appear to have married in Parkes in 1901. But other than that I don't know anything further.

Do you have some suggested sites I should visit to find out more info? :)

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
mcgyver

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hullo again :)

The Australian Board has a Resources list that has links to databases and other sites helpful for Aus research.  Check that out to see what might be helpful ;D

Good hunting

charlotte

Offline mcgyver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 10 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Charlotte will do that.
 :)
mcgyver

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 10 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Perhaps it is better to complete this topic now you have started another on the Australian board. I will move the topic to completed on the Australian board. If you think it should be moved back or linked to the new topic - just say.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk