Author Topic: Grave Records after Church Closes?  (Read 10341 times)

Offline Grandpappy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Records after Church Closes?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 December 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply.Yes I do know where my father was buried and I can guess roughly where the grave was,only trouble is I was only 11 and  I returned some 56 yrs later and there was nothing,just 3 unmarked graves(marked by flagstones) in the area of where I thought my father had been buried.
The Reverend said that they had had some floods which destroyed most of their records and that she couldn't help. I've been in contact with the undertakers for that area at the time and she is trying to find out who paid for the plot and whether it was the army,as it was a full military burial,covered by the local press at the time and I've also been in touch with his regiment.
But,I'm getting nowhere.
Surely some record of the plot should exist?
Cheers

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 December 10 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Anglican church records are deposited in the diocesan record office which in nearly all cases is the county record office, as is the case of St Andrew Pershore

Worcestershire Record Office online index of the parish registers they hold

http://gis.worcestershire.gov.uk/website/ParishRegister/

and monumental inscriptions

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grandpappy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 December 10 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda,
Thank you for the reply and the attempt to help in this search. My father was buried in Holyhead,Anglesey,North Wales and all searches are coming back with No record's or lost record's etc.
I can't seem to get a definitive statement from any official body-perhaps it's too much trouble.
Anyway, many thanks
Grandpappy

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 December 10 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A list of Anglesey parish registers

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/AGY_PR.html

which includes

Ref                     Parish                   Baptisms    Marriages    Burials
WPE/68  Caergybi/Holyhead  (n)  1737-1974  1737-1991  1737-1990

You don't state whether the church was the Church of Wales or non-conformist. Most churches deposit their historic records when a parish register is completed.

Municipal cemeteries were laid with plots because everything had to purchased. Therefore records and maps are almost always available. Parishioners had the right to burial in the parish churchyard (if it had not closed as in many cities and towns were numbers had simply overwhelmed the churchyards - many of which have now disappeared or partially disappeared making way for roads and buildings). The right to a burial space was free in these churchyards. There were usually no records kept of the exact spot since everyone in the village historically knew everyone else and knew where everyone was buried in their living memory. Markers for the more established families began to be more common in the churchyard in later centuries but up to then and overtime reburials would occur on the same land since the churchyard was not limitless as far as space was concerned.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 December 10 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

post July 1837 graves!

This may work to narrow down the find as possible most likely unmarked grave if you have no intention of putting
a headstone up now for your ancestor but just to locate the grave plot.

Records that can be checked are Sexton/Undertakers, Graveyard plots and plans, parish burial record, Newspapers
and Stonemason records also grave stone dates

By trying to make a small map of rows of graves and put in dates from existing headstones and where they are on your map.

If the parish records still exists find your ancestor and date of burial! next try and find the name of the nearest headstone names either side of your ancestors dates of burial in the parish burial register.

Example (Only)
Your ancestor by Death cert 29 th July 1857 and Burial date in PR is 3rd of August 1857

Ie  Fred Blogg DIED 1 st JULY 1857 (Headstone) find Freds burial date in PR

unmarked grave

unmarked grave

unmarked grave

George Smith Died 26Th AUG 1857 find George's Burial date in PR

Next find who is in between Fred Blogg burial Pr date and Your ancestor in PR date  and Your ancestor and who in between  George grave stone date and buriel in Pr date
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth