Author Topic: Hepburns in London  (Read 3856 times)

Offline franki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hepburns in London
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 14:26 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this forum and to Family History, although my wife has done some research into my branch of the Hepburn ancestry.

My great Grandfather was John Frankland Hepburn b 1842 d 1900
His father was William Henry Hepburn b 1811 d 1875 (+/-)
His father was also William Henry b abt 1785 d 1865 (+/-)

John was a law stationer at 7 Pancras Lane, London

If anyone has any information at all about any of the above it would be much appreciated. I'd also be happy to share what information I have.

Phil

Hepburns - London and possibly Reading
Wiliam Henry b.1785
William Henry b.1811
John Frankland b. 1842

Offline Barry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hepburns in London
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

I am researching the Hepburn's of London and have amassed a substantial database of people, mostly centered on Clerkenwell and Islington but with Limehouse & Guildford connections.  This includes your John Frankland and his children/grandchildren many of whom include Frankland in their names.  It is in Excel format but I am happy to share it with you off list.

It is surprising how large the Hepburn clan is in London and because of the recurring themes and a regular naming pattern, of John, William and Henry, I am convinced that they have some common ancestry but I haven't established any obvious links to your John William.   There is also another person actively searching; we discovered each other through a common gg grandfather John Hepburn, who had sons William, Charles  and Henry.

You don't say where your John William was born but there are Hepburn's in a place called Frankland, Co Durham (William Hepburn,1871 census, b1820/21 in Frankland Colliery Houses Frankland Framwellgate).  Your branch may have a connection, bearing in mind the constant use of the name Frankland through the generations.

Barry 1936
Hepburn - Clerkenwell, Islington, Limehouse, Grays, Northumberland, Derby, Warwickshire
Cowell - Stanford le Hope, Erith, Orsett, Grays
Powell - Sheppey Kent, New Zealand
Williams - Llanferres, Clwyd, Denbighshire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

Welcome to Rootschat

You have posted on the London and Middlesex resources board. You need to post requests on either a county main board or the lookup board (not in lookup offers either).
Each county has these 4 main boards as well as one for completed requests.

I will move your request to the main London and Middlesex board.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline franki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry! Thanks for that, I would love to have sight of your Hepburn database, maybe I could add a few names to it.

But how do you get it to me? I'm fairly computer literate and use Excel everyday, but I haven't quite got the hang of this site and am warned against posting my email/residential address. Any ideas?

All my William Henry's were born in London, as was John Frankland. The middle name has been a source of significant speculation in the family ever since I can remember. The common family 'story', suggested scandal involving an ancestor, illegitimacy and a lady called Mary Frankland, but nobody has ever managed to confirm anything. The town in Durham may be worth pursuing.

I'll post some more comment when I hear back from you. Thanks for your interest.

Phil

Wiliam Henry b.1785
William Henry b.1811
John Frankland b. 1842

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 June 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

After you have posted three times you can use the personal messaging system to send and receive private messages - just click on the person's Rootchat name on the left of their post - a live link and you will find the option for

Send this RootsChatter a personal message.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline franki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda! This is my third post so.......!
Wiliam Henry b.1785
William Henry b.1811
John Frankland b. 1842

Offline snowflake

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 September 10 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,
               I have been helping a member at our family history assoc (Max)who's G,G,G,Grandfather is William Henry Hepburn b abt 1784 Westminster, Middlesex, his wife was Sally Ann.

William died 12 Dec 1855 12 Bayst Terrace, Bethnal Green, London and Sally 8 Jun 1842 St Edmund the King, City of London, England.

We have found 7 children, one being a Convict Henry James Hepburn who was sent to Tasmania, Max descends from this line. Most of the family were Law Stationers

Max's grandfather was John Frankland Herbert Hepburn born 1884 at Yarram, Victoria, Australia

There ia another lady Rosemary researching this family in Australia.

Would like to hear form you, maybe we can share some information.

Regards Snowflake   :)

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crumpet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 February 12 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, this is my first post so I hope I get this right!

It appears I am also a descendant of William Henry Hepburn. His son, Henry James Hepburn who was sent to Tasmania as a convict, had an illegitimate child whilst he was married to his first wife. This child, Henry George Hepburn (born 1851) was always known by his stepfathers name Thompson. So I can help anyone wanting details of the convict side of things! I would love more details on William Hepburn though - I only have his parents names John and Mary.

Cheers,
crumpet

Offline franki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 12 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crumpet! I sent you a personal message a few days ago. Did you get it?

Phil
Wiliam Henry b.1785
William Henry b.1811
John Frankland b. 1842