Author Topic: Langley/clavering essex family  (Read 10010 times)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Langley/clavering essex family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 June 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Like this..............

16th Sep 1878...Royston R.D
Leonard Sell marries Emily Negers
----------

1901 census
Chipping, Buckland, Royston, Hertfordshire
Leonard Sell.........head.....48...ordinary ag lab.........Langley, Essex
Emily........"...........wife.......48...................................Brent Pelham, Hertfordshire
Elias G......"...........son........19...bricklayers lab.........Gt Hadham, Hertfordshire
*Archer Lawrence..nephew..15...shepherd................Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire
----------
*1884 Mar qtr, Lambeth R.D....
Archer Lawrence was born
---------

Dec qtr 1905...Marylebone R.D (London)
Stanley Harold Sell is born (grandson of Leonard & Emily)
----------

Stanley is living with his grandparents
----------

Stanley dies in March 1985 within the Luton R.D
---------

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackie5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
My Dear Bryant.I cannot thank you enough,I am speachless.thank you so very much, amazing!  Very emotional stuff to see so much of my family history ,an finding out so much for me Im still so took back to see how many generations you have found for me....
Thank you again so very much.............I am so grateful to you Bryant..

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 06:42 BST (UK) »
Its our pleasure.......

Who is this nephew Archer Lawrence from the 1901 census?

June qtr, Leeds R.D
Joseph Lawrence marries Emma Thompson
------------

Mar qtr, Lambeth R.D
Archer Lawrence (nephew of Leonard & Emily Sell) was born.
--------

1891 census
71 Lambeth Road, Lambeth, London
Joseph Lawrence.......head....43.....singer........................Leeds
Emma........."..............wife......41.......................................Leeds
George......."...............son......20....carpenter....................Leeds
Ernest........"...............son......19.....clerk...........................Leeds
Victoria......."..............daur.....17.....singer.........................Leeds
Sydney......."...............son......11.....scholar.......................Lambeth
Archer........"................son.......7........................................Lambeth
Julia Slocum.............lodger.....30(mar).....dressmaker.......Gibralter
Rose Slocum............lodger.....21(mar)...............................Suffolk
Charlotte Danby......lodger.....48(wid)...servant.................Leeds
Robert Danby..........lodger.....14.......scholar......................Bradford
Frank Danby............lodger.....10 months...........................Lambeth
----------

1901 census
28 Osborne Terrace, Lambeth, London
Emma Lawrence.....head....50 (mar)......................................Leeds, Yorkshire
Ernest......"..............son......28 (unm).....theatrical agent......Leeds, Yorkshire
Victoria McAvoy.......daur......35(mar)....vocalist..............................Leeds, Yorkshire
Irene............".......grandaur..2...............................................London
Archer Lawrence.......son.....17................clerk.......................London
+ two servants
------------

Archer (an Architect) is living with his mother who is now a widow and grandaughter Irene Victoria Blanche McAvoy born Dec qtr 1898 St Saviours R.D (Southwark, London)
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackie5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 13:52 BST (UK) »
Bryant, Thank you so very much,that is just amazing..fantasic .I know I could never had found all  that info alone,I am so grateful to you, I never realised the Sell family of mine was so big.......thank you so very much.How so very interesting this all is for me, thank you Bryant for all your wonderful help an time .vERY much appreciated . Thank You  x   Jackie5

Offline John Gibbons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 June 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just found your roots chat!  My great grandfather was Joseph Sell who was, of course, Moses's younger brother.

In my researches, I have discovered something very interesting about their father (my great, great grandfather) John Sell.

He was a member of the Elmdon Poaching gang  and, in 1829, was sentenced to transportation for 7 years at Chelmsford Assizes and finally arrived in Tasmania in 1830.  He completed his sentence but returned to England and Joseph was born in 1839.  The family are shown as living on Upper Green, Langley in the 1841 census.

There is a lot of detail on my tree on Ancestry (Hannam) if you search for it.  Mine is public tree so you should have no problems accessing it if you are on Ancestry.  Search for John Sell in public member trees, then click on Hannam from the list that comes up.

All best wishes

John Gibbons

Offline Jackie5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 June 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi John Gibbons ,thank you for the email , very much appreciated , how interesting is the information you have found , thank you so much for sharing this with me, I will go on the site of Ancestry and look up what you have told me, thank you very much , Kind Regards  Jackie 5 .

Offline John Gibbons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 June 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Glad it was of interest!  Also did you know that Eliza Wombwell (John Sell's wife) was the neice of George Wombwell who ran the most famous travelling menagerie in 19th century England.  His tomb i  Highgte Cemetery is surmounted with a wonderful statue of his lion 'Nero'.  Wallace, one of his other lions, was stuffed and can now be seen in Saffron Walden museum!

Offline Jackie5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 June 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
hi John, well well how interesting is that info this gets more exciting as it goes, I must go to Suffolk museum now to see Wallace , an may be trip to Highgate cemetery ,do you know the grave number an name of cemetery please may be email me on Jackiebaker11@sky.com  if you wish thank you so interesting information about my nans parents family, I didn't know none of this information , many thanks John 

Offline John Gibbons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Have sent you a reply to your email.  I share an email with my partner Sue and the address is:

suesw6@aol.com

All the best

John