Author Topic: From Scotland to New Zealand *COMPLETED*  (Read 4808 times)

Offline ZanT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
From Scotland to New Zealand *COMPLETED*
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
I am new here.... So here goes.....
I am searching for information for my family tree of my Scottish ancestors who were born in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. Who immigrated to New Zealand late 1927? Not knowing the exact date that they left, the name of the ship and which port they sailed from. The only information that I have of them is from their New Zealand death certificates. My Great uncle William Bruce Buchan died on 30/06/1959, his wife Jane Buchan (Mitchell) died 01/05/1958. Both were living at 36 Willcott street, Mt Albert and cremated at Waikumete. Is there anyone down there who would know if their son and daughter are still alive or have any children of their own?

ZanT
McLean, Buchan, Bruce, Buchanhaven, Peterhead and Scotland.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: From Scotland to New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi ZanT

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

Unfortunately we don't allow posts that give details of living people, so if anyone can help, they should contact you by Personal Message.  You will need to post here at least once more before you can receive messages though.

There's no problem helping with shipping records etc though

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi ZanT

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

We have to be careful here not to post any information about people who may still be living.

If you know the names you could try "Old Friends" on the Trademe website, or also you could look at old electoral rolls, which are found in the larger area libraries.

Good luck with your searching,

Regards,
Gail.
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail

I think ZanT is saying he isn't local (the flag's a clue, lol!) so the libraries might be a bit tricky!

;)

Edit: profile says Northamptonshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Zan, welcome - not really clear from your posting if you are trying to move forward and find living relatives - and the replies above cover that - or if you are trying to move back and trace the Buchan family.

If the latter, and you have anything more you know about any of your ancestors, post it here and see if anyone can help.

I did do a very quick enquiry on the well known A******* site, and there is a William Bruce Buchan born 1843 in Cruden Bay on a couple of trees that might be worth looking at.    Cruden Bay isn't far from Peterhead and as the name is exactly the same, although too old for your great uncle, he might be the same family - no guarantees, but might be worth a punt?

p.s.  modified (because I can't work out how to delete)  I'm an idiot!   You've probably got all that - it may even be your tree.   It's the NZ connection you are after, isn't it.    Oh, well you can't be awake every evening..
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the profile ZanT is
From England

Welcome to Roots and good luck
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
lol posted first, looked at the profile second..........D' Oh!  And I hav'nt been awake all that long  :)
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi ZanT,

Maybe,the death notices from the newspapers would give you more information,

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Could their arrival have been earlier than 1927?

Cheers Janette