Author Topic: John Maxwell Death Lookup  (Read 3559 times)

Offline rosanne

• RootsChat Member
  • Just keep looking
    • View Profile
John Maxwell Death Lookup
« on: Tuesday 29 March 05 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi am trying to find a John Maxwell also goes under the name John Brown who was born about 1849, married in Portsea in 1881 to Mary Eliza Kidson who also goes by the names of Mary Anne Brown. They had a daughter Ethel in 1882. Cannot locate any of them in 1891 census and in 1901 Mary is a visitor and Ethel is stying with her cousins the Kidsons in Kent. Mary is going by Mary Eliza Maxwell at this stage. No sign of John. He was a gunner in the Royal Marines in 1881, have found him as John Brown in the 1881 census. Born in Ireland sometime - no certificate of course. Legend has it he died on the Titanic (very unlikely because of his age). Another legend has it he died in a cyclone in America. How can I check That! Was it Galvaston Texas in 1900? May never know. But he may have died at sea. If anyone can help or point me in some new direction I'd be very grateful. This is a very hard knot to untangle and may mean the end of the Maxwell line for me!!!
Rosanne
Maxwell, Kidson, Beckett, Byrne, Knight, Jeavons, Bitheway, Ellow, Ganly....Greater London and surrounds also Ireland