Author Topic: Belcher's from Oxfordshire  (Read 3932 times)

Offline belcher33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belcher's from Oxfordshire
« on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi im a newbie here

Been researching my family tree for a while now and was wondering if anyone is researching the above name.

Most of my tree are from Steeple Aston, Upper and Lower Heyford and woodstock areas

At present researching a Stephen Belcher (4xggdad) b1806 Lower Heyford d 1856 in Woodstock wanting to find out some more information re parents and his life in the area any help would be appreciated

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Belcher's from Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Belcher33

Welcome to Rootschat

Just to make you aware.

Anc.try have a few trees on this family and give the parents as Richard Belcher 1774 Lower Heyford. Oxfordshire- 1834 and Mary Andrews 1775 - 1840

The next generation back:-

William Belcher 1735 Oxford. Maine. USA - 1811 Lower Heyworth married to Mary Couling 1740 USA - 1796 Lower Heyworth
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline belcher33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
hi

thanks for the reply and so fast im confused why the maine USA??? was they born out there or here in oxfordshire uk????

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
Just putting what I saw and that was how it was written. There is an Oxford. Maine. USA so I presume that was where they were both born.  Perhaps you can contact the tree owners to clarify.  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
If you do not have access to anc..try then I could make the contact for you if that would help you to clarify  ???

Offline belcher33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
thanks for the reply unfortunatly i dont have access to the ancestry site if you could find out some more that would be a great help many thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
You would need to send me a personal message with your e-mail address for me to pass on to the tree owner so that they can contact you.

If you press on my username in the left hand margin it will take you to another screen where it says send this rootschatter a personal message.

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
hi

thanks for the reply and so fast im confused why the maine USA??? was they born out there or here in oxfordshire uk????

It seems to be an unfortunate fault of the Ancestry trees software that when an English placename (eg Oxford) which has a counterpart in the USA, is entered, it is automatically completed with the state where the USA place is.

This tends to cause a bit of confusion.  Whenever I see, for example someone born in Lancaster, Lancashire, and marrying and dying there, but unaccountably having children in Lancaster Pennsylvania, I assume that there is an error.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 June 10 14:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I entirely agree with that Galium - it also occurs when someone copies a tree over as well. There are 2 showing that info, others just say Oxford.
Contacting the owner will hopefully clarify.  I have a feeling the Belcher family in this area will go back centuries.  ;)