Author Topic: Winnipeg...Manitoba..Canada..Advise needed  (Read 5672 times)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winnipeg...Manitoba..Canada..Advise needed
« on: Friday 18 June 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,
We are descendants from a long  line of families from Canada, our Great Grandparents  and our Grandmother and her siblings all born around these areas, Red River settlement, St Andrews, St Clements and Oak Hummock. they were born and baptised in these areas of Winnipeg Canada before migrating to Australia.

We are planning to visit Manitoba in September and would like to know how easy it is to move around by public transport and is it possible to do research whilst there for 5 full days?

Would I need to make prior arrangements etc.
Would like some expert advice from someone living in there area.

Thanks  Suzy

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg...Manitoba..Canada..Advise needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 June 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Suzy,

I am from northwestern ontario and go to Winnipeg once in a while. I haven't used the busing system there but there are lots of city buses there. Here is the website for schedules there: http://winnipegtransit.com/TIMETABLE/. I would suspect the system there is a very good one. Hope this helps.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 June 10 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hello JDC,
Many thanks for the informative site.
Very appreciative.
Suzy

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 June 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Some sites that you can look at and contact for more information.

Manitoba Historical Society
www.mhs.mb.ca

Winnipeg Public Library
http://wpl.winnipeg.ca/library/

Tourism Winnipeg
http://www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/

Have a great vacation, was in Winnipeg a few years ago on vacation. found the people very friendly and helpful.

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 10 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi valeriec,
Thank you for your help, helpfull sites and kind wishes! Will have a play in all these sites and see what I can come up with.
Suzy

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 June 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
The Millenium Library and the Manitoba Archives would probably be the best places for researching. Both are located in downtown Winnipeg within blocks of each other. The Millenium Library is the main library and has a good genealogy section. I've only been to the Archives once and it was a good experience.

To get to Oak Hammock, St. Clement and St. Andrews you would need a car. The original fort (Upper Fort Garry) has a small portion of wall that has survived and is going to be turned into a historic site. It's located downtown not too far from Millenium Library. Lower Fort Garry is a national historic site. Here's a link to the Parks Canada website:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/mb/fortgarry/index.aspx
Beaver Bus Lines has buses that go there or you can go by boat although I don't know whether they still run in September.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg...Manitoba..Canada..Advice needed
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Before heading here, have you done all the searches that you can on available online censuses,etc...Speaking from experience, there was a Red River Descendant's reunion to which people came from all over the world, and they wished they'd had more time for the local archives....Also if you have Hudson's Bay Co. history, that section alone could easily eat up 5 days of searching.... ;D  In the archives you can look for, but no guarantess there are records for your ancestors surviving... land records, wills, censuses, (including early 1800's Red River Settlement, heads household & head counts only ) ship's records, all of which can be scanned to disc...You can look at Maps, images from earlier towns/areas/  photos if they were prominent citizens...and more
http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/  The library jacquie has mentioned is attached to the archives, so is no extra travelling. In there you can peruse old newspapers.... first by searching on a database available and then you can look for the actual page on microfilm & scan for your records...They also have the henderson directories on microfilm... You may find tons of information or very little, it's always a crap shoot. But you may want to contact them to see if they have any advice prior to you coming....

There are many hotels downtown within walking distance... you can use google maps help with proximity, directions, etc. I may even be able to help you a little if I am around at the time you visit...you can p.m. me
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
Don't forget the railway stops in Winnipeg, depending on where you are starting your stay in Canada (I just checked, you are in Oz !)  I travelled Canada by VIA ... excellent !  Wish we had such a good service here in UK !!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jacquie in Canada;: J.J & Lydart,
Thank you all so much for your help.
 JJ I will get back in touch with you when I know some more details.
Sounds like I need far more time than we have aloud!

We descend from Moore/Moar /Moore, Fiddler/Fidler, Richards & Black families and that go back to early 1800.

Would like to visit St Andrews Church at least, as that is where our grandmothers  parents were married baptised and grandmothers siblings were buried,would be nice to visit the burial grounds [although suspect there would not be head stones] at St Andrews I am presuming it is the church grounds
Thank you all
Suzy