Author Topic: francis edward DOUGLASS  (Read 17700 times)

Offline gengeler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: francis edward DOUGLASS
« Reply #54 on: Friday 22 July 11 04:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susie, you are right - I checked again and it is the old cemetery. Eleanor's husband Adolf and some of the children are in the new cemetery.

Regards, Greg

Offline susiet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 22 July 11 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Greg.  I'm interested in Rebecca Chipperfield and the children from her marriages.  She had a hard time of it I think.  Rebecca is my great great great (I think that's enough greats) grand mother.

Susie

Offline tabx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Rebecca Chipperfield and John Gale Maddox had a daughter named Elizabeth baptised on 4th December 1830 in Launceston.

Presumably this is the same Elizabeth as mentioned on the first page of this thread:
DUTTON Elizabeth Jane
Father Maddox John Gale  Mother Rebecca CHIPPERFIELD
69 years  at Ballarat East  1897  Reg#11293

Does anyone know who her husband was?

I have her in Tasmania with Samuel Arthur Hall (bearing his children) from 1862 to 1875.  He died in 1878.  Wondering if she remarried in Tasmania or Victoria or elsewhere.

Thanks for any info.  Their son Arthur Gresley Hall is my g-g-grandfather.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 25 August 11 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi tabx :)

Welcome to rootschat.

I can't see a 2nd marriage for Elizabeth to a DUTTON however her death certificate would give you more information ie if the informant had the all the knowledge.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tabx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 25 August 11 03:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I don't hold out much hope for the death certificate because the online record has her parents' names in those fields.  I'm thinking if she did have a second husband named Dutton, he may have died before her and hence she was living near/with her family again in Ballarat and it was they who gave the information for her death certificate.

I also haven't found a record of her and Samuel Hall actually marrying.  On the Tasmanian Colonial Database their "marriage" in 1862 is just based on their having a child together.  There's no record of her marrying on the Tasmanian Pioneers Index.

Offline susiet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 26 August 11 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi tabx

I am a descendant of Elizabeth Jane Maddox, who was born in Tasmania in 1832 to John Gale Maddox and Rebecca Chipperfield.  The information I have is that she married William Smith in 1848 in Tasmania.  I have a copy of their marriage registration and their witnesses were Rebecca and her fourth husband. 

They had a three (one of whom died) children in Tasmania and then moved to Victoria where they had eight more children.  Their last child was born in 1874 (I have his birth certificate), by which time they were running a hotel in Ballarat.

William died in 1882 and I have his death certificate and will.  Elizabeth re-married to a Thomas Dutton in 1885 in Victoria.  She passed away in 1897 and is buried in the Ballarat New Cemetery with her son, Thomas Smith, and his wife.

I hope this helps. 

Offline susiet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 26 August 11 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again tabx

Ooops  sorry.  Elizabeth was born in 1830 and baptised in 1832 (i have a copy of the baptism record).

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 26 August 11 07:30 BST (UK) »
Well there looks as though there were two Elizabeth MADDOX's and Elizabeth born 1830, baptised 1832 was the Elizabeth who married Wm SMITH in Tasmania in 1848 and Thomas DUTTON in 1885 Victoria and died in Ballarat in 1897.

The marriage index shows the Thomas DUTTON who married Elizabeth was born Manchester and Elizabeth was born Hobart.

There are two death registrations in Victoria for a Thomas DUTTON to 1901. 

DUTTON Thomas
Father Thomas  Mother Mary WILKS
1887  67 years at Wangaratta  Reg#4615

and

DUTTON Thomas
Father Thomas  Mother not named
At Heathcote hospital  86 years  1893  Reg#6236

This maybe the first Thomas - extracted parish record

DUTTON Thomas    
Baptism 24 Feb 1822 Great Sankey, Lancashire, England         
Father Thomas Mother Mary

and could be parents' marriage - extracted parish record

DUTTON Thomas
WILKES Mary     
18 Sep 1803  Saint Bartholomew, Tardebigg, Worcester, England

There are a number of baptisms for the children of a Thomas and Mary in Great Sankey, Lancashire.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Great-Sankey/index.html

However Sankey is near Warrington not Manchester.

All purely speculative :)  You would need to see the 1885 marriage or 1887 death cert.

Bearing in mind that directories are compiled up to 12 months prior to publication......
1888 Post Office Directory
DUTTON Thomas, Bull Hotel Peel Street North Ballarat.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tabx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 26 August 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Well that Elizabeth Maddox's history seems to be well known and documented - now I have to re-start the search for my Elizabeth Maddox - and I can't find anything at all :(  No convict record, not listed on Liz Rushen's Female Migration website.  I'm wondering if Maddox could have been a married name, but even then I can't find someone suitable.  And Samuel's first wife, Elizabeth Authorn (possibly Athorn? but seems to be Hawthorne on her death record) is equally difficult to track down.

You seem to have a lot of info already susiet, but I'll mention it just in case you'd missed it somehow - had you found the convict history for William Smith?