Author Topic: Newlands Family from Olyphant Pensylvaina 1880/1900  (Read 17068 times)

Offline James B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newlands Family from Olyphant Pensylvaina 1880/1900
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Making my second post so I can email chat. Sandra: Yes the James Newlands buried in Nahant was my father. The 's' was added by the military when he was drafted before WWII. A lot of the PA relatives would come visit in the summer as we lived on the Ocean. We would also make the trip to Milford and Scranton once a year with a stop in Connecticut to visit relatives there.

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 24 November 11 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi James B
Nice to hear from another branch of the family in the USA your grandfather Francis and my gr grandfather Mathew were brothers I have met other members of the Newlands family both from Scotland and the US and between us with have gathered quite a bit of family history .
It was myself that started this post if you would like any information I can send you my email address after 3 posts on Roots

Rose Marie (Chesapek)

Offline James B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 08 December 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
That makes you my 2nd cousin twice removed I think.  I knew my grandfather had brothers, but not how many.

I've also come across our name in S Africa and Australia. I wonder if any of them are related.

Also there are Newlands on Linked-In that I've connected to.

Offline jenny36

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 08 December 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
There was also a pirate.  And a sugar plantation owner on Jamaica, John Newland,  who made a pile of money and built an Academy School in Scotland.  The school still stands.  I found a little book published in 1912 about him.  I am not a serious researcher like some who need birth certificates and such.  It's just fun.

Quite often, Newland without the 's' may be from England.  The Newlands with an 's' is Scottish, but so many have dropped the 's' that it's difficult to distinguish the two groups.

We have a clan chiefton, Mr William Newlands of Lauriston Castle.  You can Google that.  I wrote him a letter and he sent me a gift.  Next time they schedule a clan reuniion, we should all go!

Tell me who who found in Africa.
maryn
Mary Ellen

Offline James B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 08 December 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I found another James Newland in S. Africa. There is also a Newland brewery outside of Cape Town and a town called Newlands with another brewery.

I guess we like our beers/ales.

I knew we had a clan chief and a tartan. We try to attend any Highland Games near us. When we lived in Texas there was one every June in Arlington (between Dallas and Fort Worth). It would draw over a 100,000 people over the weekend.

I like to fiand out more about where we came from. One of my cousins traced the maternal side (Boyer) back to the late 1500s in England and 1600s in Scotland.

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 08 December 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi James
I would say we are definitely related I have Information as far back as your gr gr grandfather who was William De Burgh who was a Hawker his wife was Sarah Docherty and yes there is John Newlands who was born in Shotts and went on to be a plantation owner in Jamaica( do not know about him being a pirate) and yes hes did leave money in his will for an Academy to be built in Bathgate where he went to live after Shotts before going to Jamaica it is still here to this day and each year the town have a John Newlands day to celebrate I live not to far from his birth place and where the Academy is .
I would like to know anything about your family and where you all live as I am very interested in our family tree and spend hours researching my email address is (*) and if you like I can send you a photo of your grandmother Catherine Newlands (nee Curran from Donegal)

Rose Marie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi its been a while since I have been on here and reserching the family tree but I am looking to do it as a bit of a project and I would love any information anyone has which would update what I have got before I start my project .Will share my end result Thks

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 02 January 16 01:53 GMT (UK) »
My husbands mother was a Newlands.  She was a descendant of a George Waddell Newlands d. 1890 a son of David Newlands and Margaret Lang.  They were from the Bathgate area too. Any others with Newlands from this area in West Lothian? I've set up a facebook group for Newlands descendants.  If you are interested them please PM me. 

Happy new year to all the Newlands out there!
Shortt, Antisell, Owen, Smith and Bagnall Families of Ireland
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.