Author Topic: WWII bombing of Westcliff and Southend-on-Sea  (Read 14109 times)

Offline WildKiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWII bombing of Westcliff and Southend-on-Sea
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 July 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has contributed and given links.  I'll try the libraries and local papers as well.  Not being a "native", it is sometimes difficult to know where to start.

Regards
Wild Kiwi

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 July 10 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just thought I'd mention that my father had an experience like Marcie's mum,

One morning he was cycling down Rectory Lane Chelmsford Essex to Hoffmanns Ball & Roller Bearing Co when a German plane flew over and strafed the cyclists.  It was a miracle nobody was shot, the road would have been jam packed with cyclists, as far as I can recall the only injuries were bumps and bruises where people threw themselves off their cycles in panic.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Agruchy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 September 12 03:04 BST (UK) »
I know this chat is about two years old, but I thought I'd give it a try. My mom who is 82 has recounted being shot by a German plane during WWII. she said it happened near the stores at southend on sea, her friend was killed, she states a store owner or baker ran out into the road and grab her, pulling her back into the shop. She experienced many bombings, says she would seek shelter in the sea case of Dover. If there is any ideas on where I can learn more about what happened in WWII on southend on Sea I would really appreciate it. Her last name was mison, if that helps, she married and moved to California were she and I live. She has been in poor health and I feel it is important that her children understand her childhood.
Thanks for any help!

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 September 12 03:45 BST (UK) »
Not really news reports wildkiwi but it says where the first bomb fell and also the four flying bombs that hit Southend.

http://www.thesoutheastecho.co.uk/southend_history4.htm#WW2
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Agruchy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 September 12 05:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:53 BST (UK) »
This diary in the ERO would probably be a good starting point.
"Diary setting out brief information regarding bombs and other missiles which fell upon the Country Borough of Southend-on-Sea, September 3rd 1939 to May 9th 1945, and casualties resulting therefrom"
"Gives details of types of bomb or missile, date, time and place where they fell, damage to property, and casualities"
and a map.
http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/result_details.aspx?ThisRecordsOffSet=4&id=216330

Several more items. Search for Southend bombing.

Phil

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 September 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Agruchy,the article I gave the link to does give some idea of life in Southend at the time and I should have said,welcome to RootsChat.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth