Author Topic: Confusing IGI  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing IGI
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
True, I haave been attempting to trace one of my grandfather's many brothers, Zebulon Ayres, born sometime between 1870 and 1890. The only thing I know is that my mother mentioned him as an uncle, a brother of her father. The 1911 census shows that his parents had 11 children 6 of whom were living in 1911. He appears on no census and neither his birth or death appear to have been registered. Any suggestions welcomed?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline susan williams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 June 10 07:45 BST (UK) »
Such an unusual name no doubt transcribers  through the years have had a field day working out what to put.  Was Zebulon the first child ??  my gt. gt grandparents first child was born out of wedlock and was registered in her mother's maiden name in all official records.  Then I have a family bible entry for another branch of the family -  the very first name was a child that is not listed in any records, was born before the parents married, but the Bible entry still lists him by his father's name, this child has remained a mystery.
Susan

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 June 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
No, the first child was my grandfather, Samuel, born in Feb 1868 after the marriage in December 1867! As they say in East Anglia born in the vestry. Zebulon could have been born almost at any time between 1870 and 1890 as there are several gaps. He clearly did not survive to be recorded in any census. There is also a Non conformist (Baptist) complication.Any suggestions welcomed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 June 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger.

Could it be a still-birth? I seem to recall reading that such births were not registered but I suspect they would be included in a family bible

Andy

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 June 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy, I don't think this was likely as my mother recalled him being talked about as a child by her father.
Roger

Offline susan williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 June 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
Re Zebulon Ayres.

I have just typed the name in on the Findmypast site and under that name there are these records.
3 Births at Sea, 1 Record in the Parish Registers, 1 Record of marriage and 1 Record of Divorce.  The name is also mentioned once under the heading " other records " For those not too interested in football then Findfmypast are allowing a free 90 minute search of their files whilst England are playing.  You do have to register but there is no charge for that but if I read it properly the 90 minutes starts from the moment you sign in on Sunday so best have all notes and queries ready . Hope this helps - might not be your Zebulon but at least it will be worth a look for free
Susan

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 June 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susan, Unfortunately being away yesterday I have only just got back on the site, so I have missed the free time. I watched the football and would have been better employed on here. Am as sure as I can be that the births at sea, marriage and divorce are not him, but the parish record does look interesting.Will check that out.
Roger