Author Topic: Charles Henry Chew  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Charles Henry Chew
« on: Monday 21 June 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about Charlie, who moved from Aberdare in S Wales to London in the late 1920s to earn a living as a professional boxer?
He was born in 1903 and is believed to have died in Hendon in 1968.

Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Henry Chew
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 June 10 20:44 BST (UK) »

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 June 10 20:56 BST (UK) »

A discussion has started on the Glamorgan forum because of duplicated posting

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 June 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the links, but I know about his boxing - I'm hoping to learn about his family.
You refer to a "double posting": Chew's name is among a list I posted on the Glamorgan board, but produced no response, so I posted here as he spent most of his life in Middlesex and I thought it might be seen by someone who would not have visited the Glamorgan forum. I trust that is not offending anybody's sensibilities?
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 June 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Gareth

If you had mentioned that you already knew about his boxing side then I wouldn't have wasted my time responding to the boxing side.

The point about the posting on both Glamorgan and London/Middlesex is exactly the same. Without the courtesy of it being mentioned, you'll have both Glam and Lon/Middx running around at the same time forwarding same/similar info, without knowing them knowing about it, or what's gone before.

"We" could have been helping someone else.

Ray

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 June 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Both running around submitting the same info? Chance would be a fine thing.
The Glamorgan post had been there for some time without any response regarding Chew (others yes, not Chew). Clearly I have been wasting your time, for which I apologise. Nobody else seems particularly interested in Charlie on either board.
  Gareth

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth

Welcome to the London and Middlesex board

On FreebMD there is a marriage in Hendon for a Charles H Chew in 1928. There seem to be three children born to the marriage with births registered in Hendon. As these children may all very well be living so in accordance with Rootschat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living information on them cannot be posted. I can send the details to you by pm if you wish.

I hope this helps

The post on the Glamorganshire board refered to is a request for information on over 20  former boxers from the Merthyr, Aberdare and Pontypridd areas.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=460473.msg3244407

If anyone has any further information on any of these boxers please post on the Glamorganshire board.

I hope this helps to gain a bigger response for your book Gareth. Good luck with it.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex board
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

Thank you for your positive response.  :)

I also appreciate the explanatory reference to the Glamorgan board item and the link, although Charlie is the only one on that list whom I know to have London and Middlesex connections (many of the others boxed there, of course, but as I explained - rather belatedly, I'm afraid - to Ray, it's not the boxing info I require)

If you could PM me details of the children it would be a help in trying to track them down, with a view to more information about their father's life outside the ring.   

Thanks again,
      Gareth

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
Gareth

I have already forgiven you.  :-)

I am frustrated that I had to drop "Chew" to go and do other non-geneaogy things at the time.

Chew is still on the list coz I married a dau of an Aberdarian who moved to Hendon/Wembley/Harrow so you never know what other lines open up. (But don't hold your breath)

Ray