Author Topic: What happened to Sarah Jane?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Sarah Jane?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,
I did go through the marriages on freebmd. There is a marriage for a Sarah Doran in Carlisle, 1901. Perhaps it is Sarah Jane. Unfortunately it was too early to show the recorded spouse's name.
Regards, A
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
Alison,

The 1901 marriage does have spouses names. There is William Richardson Smith or James Mountain Tetley. The other woman is Mary Catherine Brooks. James was an old guy and this looks to have been his third marriage. He was born 1838 in Halifax Yorkshire, and married in 1862 in Birkenhead, in 1892 in Liverpool and in 1901 in Carlisle. Of course there may be more than one James Mountain Tetley so I may be wrong with all this.  ;)

The thing to do would be to check the 1911 census to see how these brides and grooms match up. I think FindMyPast is giving free access to their site again on Wednesday when England are playing. You get 90 minutes to search and it might be worthwhile registering with FindMyPast and using some of your time to look for these couples. You could also look for her as Sarah Jane Doran as she may not have married but may have been overlooked or mistranscribed on the 1901 census. There are some Sarah Dorans (I think one is a servant for example) on the 1901 but I thought we were looking for your Sarah at home with parents so I dismissed them all.

The 1907 marriage in Whitehaven is the one without the spouse. There is a note on Freebmd giving the reason for this. I noticed that there are a lot of Dorans in Whitehaven so this may not be your Sarah Jane.

No need to apologise (but nice that you did) - you didn't waste my time. I know how it can be with notes - I'm totally disnorganised and have bits of paper everywhere.  :) Let me know if you find it.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Using the free index on the 1911,  there is a William Smith, aged 30  and Sarah Smith, aged 30 at the same address in Carlisle.

I think it would be worth following them up  ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Using the free index on the 1911,  there is a William Smith, aged 30  and Sarah Smith, aged 30 at the same address in Carlisle.

I think it would be worth following them up  ;)

Gadget

That sounds promising Gadget.  :)

Alison if you're not already a member of FindMyPast and want to take advantage of the 90 minute freebie to look at the record Gadget found, you should register with the site now, as I believe you need to register 24 hours(?) in advance.

Info here:
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/world-cup.jsp