Author Topic: Abode on 3 Baptisms  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Abode on 3 Baptisms
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
I don't understand the problem here either.  ??? 

This thread seems to be asking for much the same kind of help, and receives a positive response from a moderator.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,464627.0.html
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
The London Metropolitan Archives dataset is exclusively available on Ancestry. Technically, anyone looking something up for anyone else is breaching the terms and conditions of use of the site.  This is why we ask RootsChatters not to request specific look-ups.

The 1841-1901 censuses (censii ?) are available from a multitude of sources and it is therefore harder to determine the source of the information that has been given.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 July 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

Can you point to the terms and conditions on Ancestry's site which says that it is a breach to provide a look-up?

All I can see is the following and which appears to permit unique look-ups:

"You are licensed to use the Content only for personal or professional family history research, and may download Content only as search results relevant to that research. The download of the whole or material parts of any work or database is prohibited. Resale of a work or database or portion thereof, except as specific results relevant to specific research for an individual, is prohibited. Online or other republication of Content is prohibited except as unique data elements that are part of a unique family history or genealogy."

Ancestry is, of course, not exclusively a subscription site. It is available in libraries as the Ancestry Library Edition without subscription.

The records included in the Ancestry dataset are, of course, available elsewhere (eg at the LMA itself, some from LDS centres, some on fiche at libraries etc).

Nigel

Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 July 10 00:58 BST (UK) »
The 1841-1901 censuses (censii ?)

Censuses is fine in English!  But just 'census' will do if we're feeling lazy  ;)

I believe the Latin 'census' is a 4th declension noun, in which case the plural in Latin would be .... census
(Not censi - the 'i' ending applies to 2nd declension nouns; and the plural would only be censii if the word was 'censius'.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4366839
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Copyright-Editor

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 July 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
You will find it stated on the RootsChat help pages that you should not ask for look-ups from commercial sources: http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php - last but one bullet point.

The Ancestry terms allow limited use: it does not necessarily mean that the information can be searched, downloaded and republished on the internet by its subscribers on other sites where there is no subscription.  To avoid any possible conflicts with such large organisations, RootsChat prefers to ask its members not to make such requests and that all users respect the terms and conditions of both RootsChat and other genealogy sites.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 July 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
This was not really a request for a look-up, though, was it?  It was a request for a second opinion on the handwriting from an Ancestry subscriber who had already looked it up themselves, but was having difficulty deciphering part of the entry.  S/he didn't even post an extract of the image, but just asked fellow subscribers for their opinions.  There is a whole board here on Rootschat devoted to requests like this.