Author Topic: Jerusalem Coffee House Quay  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jerusalem Coffee House Quay
« on: Tuesday 29 March 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help me to locate 1 Jerusalem, Coffee House Quay, North Shields? On the 1881 census John Sedgwick Lambert and his wife Lucy Ann rang a pub at that address, but I cannot locate the quay on any maps.

John & Ann were the parents of Walter H. Lambert, a music hall artist and painter, and Walter had a royal commission to paint a picture featuring the music hall artists of the era. The painting is called 'Popularity' and can now be seen in the London museum.

Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jerusalem Coffee House Quay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 18:06 BST (UK) »
If you look at the entries for households on either side of the one you're interested in, it seems clear that it lay somewhere on Clive Street.

A search of Kelly's Directory of 1858 at
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp shows up a 'Jerusalem Coffee House' at Clive Street North Shields, on page 334.

JenB
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you JenB,

I have now found Clive Street, on a recent A to Z, and matched it up with my 1898 map. The web address was extremely useful too, and I have a feeling I will be visiting the site often.

Thank you once again you have helped to put another piece in the jigsaw. Good Luck with your searching.

Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 05 18:53 GMT (UK) »
patsy

My great grandfather Thomas Henry Thompson lived at this address in 1901
with his sister-in-law and children
Hanah thompson wife married age 29 b yarmouth
arthur w thomspon son age 8 b north shields
John r Thompson son age 2 b north shields
Charlotte thompson daughter age 7 months b n shields
Charles Brassener boarder age 20 fisherman 4th hand b north shields
Thomas H Thompson Brother in law age 21 general labourer b north shields

brian
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 05 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brian,

Thank you for the information that the coffee house/pub was still in operation in 1901. I have been trying to help someone in Australia who is a descendant of Walter H. Lambert, as my grandfather and Walter Lambert were very good friends in London, both being exiled 'Geordie Lads', and the painting  "Popularity" which I mentioned above has my grandfather hidden in it although he was never on the stage. One strange coincidence is that my grandfather's name was Charles Herbert Thompson, but he was born in Houghton-le-Spring so I don't think he is related to your Thompson's.

Good hunting with your family tree, and I hope your Thompson's are easier to find than mine back in Ireland!

Best Wishes, Patsy

Offline syboo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi This is my first time on this website. My Family ran the Jerusalem Coffee House in Clive St North Shields from 1847- until 1865. I have some photographs of the public house and can provide details of the landlords/landlady's up until 1875.  My family ran the Jerusalem Coffee House under the family name SYBENGA Regards Christopher Sybenga

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 December 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Syboo and I hope this is the first of many successful postings here on RootsChat.

I would love to see the photo of the coffee house, and I am sure I am not the only one. Any chance you you could post a copy here on RootsChat? Also any details about the family that ran the coffee house would be appreciated.

Once you have a few more postings here on RootsChat you can send personal messages via the website so private details are not revealed.

Wishing you a Very Happy New Year.
Patsy

Offline Peter 57

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Syboo

Do you have any info on the Henry Stokes family who resided at the Jerusalem coffee house in 1861 census.

Would love to see some photos also - are you able to send them ?

Peter robinson

Offline Vikki Lawlor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi This is my first time on this website. My Family ran the Jerusalem Coffee House in Clive St North Shields from 1847- until 1865. I have some photographs of the public house and can provide details of the landlords/landlady's up until 1875.  My family ran the Jerusalem Coffee House under the family name SYBENGA Regards Christopher Sybenga

We came across Jerusalem Coffee House Quay looking for a Northampton House in Jarrow as one of my regulars came across an old photo done by John S. Lambert.  http://members3.boardhost.com/hebburn/thread/1380721729.html posts only stay on the board for 8 pages so please feel free to email me * or post a message on the Hebburn and Mid Tyne message Board.  We'd love to see photos of it.
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php