Author Topic: Harris/Leetch/Kyle/Whiteford(Portglenone)  (Read 13718 times)

Offline nvb272

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harris/Leetch/Kyle/Whiteford(Portglenone)
« on: Friday 25 June 10 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace my gt grandmothers family who came from Finkiltagh? nr Portglenone.
Joseph Harris married Elizabeth Leetch in 1874, they moved to Scotland shortly-after Josephs parents were James Harris and Eliza Kyle, parents of Elizabeth were James Leetch and Elizabeth Whiteford.

I have drawn a blank in trying to go any further so any help would be grateful.
Bradford-Sussex, Surrey
McGinlay-Donegal,Glasgow
Howatson-Dalkeith,London
Jamieson-Londonderry,Partick
Key/McKee/Kee-Londonderry

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harris/Leetch/Kyle/Whiteford(Portglenone)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Finkiltagh is correct. It is a townland in the parish of Ahoghill. Ballymena. The marriage of Joseph Harris and Elizabeth Leetch was on 17 July 1874 in Portglenone 2nd Presbyterian Church.
 I have found what looks like  the marriage of Joseph's parents. James Harris married Eliza Kyle on 11 Dec 1849 in Portglenone 2nd Presbyterian Church. Should this be correct then two siblings were Mary Jane Harris b 17 Jul 1853 who married a man called Knowlton and died in Whitewater, Walworth, Wisconsin and Thomas Harris b 1 Oct 1868.
 James' father was David Harris and Eliza's father was Joseph Kyle.
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 June 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Have you looked up www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index
Looking up the occupants of Finkiltagh as published in 1862, there are 3 Harris, a James, Robert and Thomas, but I didnt find your other two surnames where each lived
This website normally gives a map showing the boundary of where each lived, which can be exciting
Good luck in your quest, jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, Both the Kyle's and Harris families are still in the area. The Kyle's are much more synominous with the townland of Tullynahinion although there may be a connection to a particular place in the townland of Finkiltagh. The Harris and Kyle families have intermarried on more than one occasion and in more recent times. As to the Leech connection they are not plentiful. There is a direct descendant a John Leech located in or near Jo-burg South Africa.
Whiteford does not ring any bells per say but I'll bring the name up just in case I have forgotten something.
The townland of finkiltagh did not unfortunatley get included in the new address system despite being several times larger than some of the neighbouring townlands. Those of us living in Finkiltagh have to use various road names instead of townland names.
kyle, coulter, Jim Bristow. . Tullynahinnion, Finkiltagh, O'sullivan Forthill

Offline nvb272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
thanks for the replies,

I will check it out

regards
Bradford-Sussex, Surrey
McGinlay-Donegal,Glasgow
Howatson-Dalkeith,London

Offline kiltagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I was researching an old photo of my great grandfather and family and believe i have found a relevant entry in the 1911 census for the townland of Finkiltagh.  Apparently my great grandfather was James Kyle and was married to Ellen, nee Greer.  On the date of the census 02/04/11 my g/g/father was not present but his wife Ellen is given as 44 years. she is noted as having had 9 children born with 8 still alive.  The children present are listed as Lizzie, 20yrs; William, 16yrs; Ellen, 11yrs; Joseph, 9yrs; Maggie, 7yrs.  Also listed as present in the home is a Thomas Greer, widower and described as 'brother.'  I assume this is brother of Ellen.  The three younger children as listed as having been born in Scotland.  I am aware that there is a family connection with Bellshill in Lanarkshire and have been told that my g/g/father worked in the steel industry.  I would be interested to know if anyone can assist by shedding any further light on these connections.

Offline nvb272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
James Kyle was married to Ellen Greer in Glasgow 1890 his parents were John Kyle and Elizabeth Surgenor.

John Kyle married Elizabeth in 1865 parents James Kyle and James Surgenor, witnesses Jade Surgenor and John Glass.
Bradford-Sussex, Surrey
McGinlay-Donegal,Glasgow
Howatson-Dalkeith,London

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   John Kyle married Elizabeth Surgenor in Portglenone First Presbyterian Church, Ballymena District on 26 Jun 1865.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kiltagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your prompt replies.  I'll have to talk to a few more relatives and perhaps visit First Portglenone.  I was interested to note that in the 1911 census Ellen Kyle and family declined to state their religion and in the 1901 census a William Kyle and family of Tullynahinnion gave their religion as 'believers'
I believe this William Kyle may have been a brother of my g/g/father.  One of my uncles has suggested that the family were 'Brethern' or gospel hall at that time which might fit in.