Author Topic: Help! on a "missing" marriage record  (Read 4560 times)

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help! on a "missing" marriage record
« on: Friday 25 June 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody!

I've searched the "obvious" places for this marriage record but my great-granddad's youngest brother Daniel Collins continues to be slippery.  Supposedly he married Elizabeth Lavery around 1902.

Daniel was in the Royal Irish Constabulary, and I found him in the 1901 census in Ballinskelligs DED, still a bachelor:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Ballinskelligs/2_Islands_off_the_coast/1404988/

According to my elderly aunt, Daniel had a son named Laurence, whom I found in the civil registration, born in 1913, in Kenmare.   Laurence had a brother, called Denis, who was a schoolteacher.  So far I cannot find a corresponding record for a brother Denis.

From Laurence's birth registration entry I learned Daniel's wife was Elizabeth Lavery.   In the 1911 census, they state the marriage is 9 years old.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Greenane/Derreenfinlehid/283001/

According to this census return Daniel was on a retiree pension from the RIC, and there was another son Daniel Joseph, who could be the elusive Denis.

Elizabeth was a schoolteacher.  From the civil registration index I think she was born around Sneem in 1870.  She is in the 1901 census in Derreenfinlehid as Lizzie Lavery, still single, a schoolteacher, 30 years old.  Her sister was also a schoolteacher as per the census, and I think I their parents were also teachers but I cannot recall at the moment why I think that.

When I searched http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/, I also found a baptismal record for a daughter Mary Ellen in 1906.

Now this Daniel Collins-Elizabeth Lavery marriage "should" have taken place around 1902.  I've searched PILOT at familysearch.org both Elizabeth Lavery and Daniel Collins, and can't find anything between the two searches that would match.

I've looked around Kerry, nothing for Daniel and Elizabeth.  There were no Lavery marriages in County Cork around where Daniel was from (Cullomane East, near Bantry).

I am starting to think that RIC constable marriages weren't recorded in the normal manner, or, Daniel and Lizzie were secretly married before 1902, and didn't clue in the RIC, or, they went out of the country to get married or -- maybe they were shacking up together and weren't married !  I have no RIC service record for Daniel, as I don't know when he joined the service and I don't have any employee ID for him.

My elderly aunt recalls meeting cousin Laurence around 1940, down in Kenmare.  He owned a chemist's shop or was some kind of pharmacist.  That would suggest to me that Daniel and Lizzie stuck around in the Kenmare area raising their kids - but I suppose Laurence could have come back.

I have not found a death reference for Daniel Collins in Kenmare, so he remains very slippery.

Any ideas about where to look for this mysterious marriage?
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help! on a "missing" marriage record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
a possible match from the index :

Name: Elizabeth Lavery
 Registration District: Cork
 Event Type: Marriage
 Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1901
 Volume : 5 / page : 87

Name: Daniel Collins
 [same index details]

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
a possible match from the index :

Name: Elizabeth Lavery
 Registration District: Cork
 Event Type: Marriage
 Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1901
 Volume : 5 / page : 87

Name: Daniel Collins
 [same index details]

Shane

GOD BLESS YOU!  That settles it, I am officially going blind.   ::)  Must have looked a dozen times in PILOT and still just did not see a match.  THANK YOU!
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
no problem ...

I had a look at Thom's 1938 which has some town listings to check if your Laurence Collins the Chemist was mentioned... but nothing promising in Kenmare. At that time there are three chemists shops listed in the town, 2 named Brosnan and one Vickery. There is however an Edward Collins M.P.S.I (member of the pharmaceutical society of Ireland) listed in Bridge St, Killorglin

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 June 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
no problem ...

I had a look at Thom's 1938 which has some town listings to check if your Laurence Collins the Chemist was mentioned... but nothing promising in Kenmare. At that time there are three chemists shops listed in the town, 2 named Brosnan and one Vickery. There is however an Edward Collins M.P.S.I (member of the pharmaceutical society of Ireland) listed in Bridge St, Killorglin

Shane

Interesting - and thanks for looking for me!  I was wondering if there were some kind of 1940's Kenmare directory.  Aunt Peg was all of 17 in 1940 when she went down to Kenmare and visited them.  Laurence would have been 27 - maybe a bit young to own or run the shop outright.   

If you happen to see any schoolteachers in the Kenmare area named Collins, I'd love to know about them.  THANKS!

Offline prove it

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 June 10 23:38 BST (UK) »
no problem ...

Shane

Interesting - and thanks for looking for me!  I was wondering if there were some kind of 1940's Kenmare directory.  Aunt Peg was all of 17 in 1940 when she went down to Kenmare and visited them.  Laurence would have been 27 - maybe a bit young to own or run the shop outright.   

If you happen to see any schoolteachers in the Kenmare area named Collins, I'd love to know about them.  THANKS!

If I were you I'd write a letter to the editor of the "Kerryman" for the letters page.

I'm sure you'd get a response.