Author Topic: Aldermaston/Burghfield Common  (Read 3881 times)

Offline sharoncs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Aldermaston/Burghfield Common
« on: Saturday 26 June 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
My granddad worked here for a couple of years in late 1950s and I just wondered if anybody knows if any records exist or can be requested?
Hewson/Beal - Scarborough
Burgess - Leeds/Bridlington/Scarborough/Quebec
Kemp - Leeds/Hull
Depledge - Goole/Knottingley/Hull
Lake - Leeds/Deeping St James
Hodsman - Hull
Playford - Leeds/Norfolk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Aldermaston/Burghfield Common
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 June 10 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

Why not email the local RO and ask if they hold the records or can tell you where they are?
Failing that, maybe the local library can help.

charlotte

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 June 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
Can you be a little more precise about for whom he was working?  You have just named two places.  I presume you are talking about one of the number of government establishments located there. 

If that is the case I would have thought it more likely that any records would be at Kew rather than Berkshire Record Office.  However I doubt that they have been released.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 June 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
Aldermaston and Burghfield are the two sites of AWE plc - a high security business.  I doubt that many records are available - but you could contact AWE to make sure.

In the late 1950s they were separate establishments - ROF Burghfield was a Royal Ordnance Factory and AWRE (Atomic Weapons Research Establishment) Aldermaston was run by UKAEA (United Kingdon Atomic Energy Authority).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_Weapons_Establishment
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 June 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
Aldermaston was run by the RAF until March 1950 when the site was handed over to the Minstry of Ssupply.  Even in 1965 when the site was run by the AWRE there were a number of other government departments, who I cannot name, still on the site carrying out activities associated with its original defence responsibilities.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk