Author Topic: Findmypast this Friday  (Read 21126 times)

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast this Friday
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 June 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the free offer includes the 1911 census, please?

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 June 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
Note you will be able to search and get the transcribed return only. Not the original image.

I knew it was too good to be true.

I think Guy is referring to the 1881 census which you can experiment on prior to friday to get used to FindMyPast.

I'm still trying to work out whether you can only use the free 90 minute period when:
(a) England are actually playing a football match or
(b) is 90 minutes just the length of time it takes to play a football match and you can use it any time on those specific dates?  In which case, how about injury time and extra time so we can bump it up to 2 hours or more?

It looks like you can use the 90 minutes anytime during the 24 hours. What it doesn't make clear is whether its one single session to a maximum of 90 minutes or multiple sessions that total 90 minutes.

Andy

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
According to FindMyPast's blog, you have to use the 90 minutes in one go. So if you log on at a busy time, it's no good logging off and trying again later - it will assume you've had your free session.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 June 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hmm. I can see this becoming even more of a shambles than it was last week.  :-\

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 June 10 14:57 BST (UK) »
I don't see why  ??? Instead of everyone having to use the site during a three-hour period, they get 90 minutes at a time of their choice anywhere within a 24 hour period. That's going to spread the load, so while the site probably won't be as fast as usual, it shouldn't come to a near standstill as it did first time. Given the fact that it's going to be used by people all over the world, I can't see that there will be a time when you could be certain that not many people will be using it, but I would certainly expect it to be running at a reasonable speed.

People complain that the big family history sites are just a bunch of money grabbers, but then when they do a free offer like this, they just seem to get swamped with complaints and criticism. I think this is a great offer by FindMyPast, but I honestly couldn't blame them if they didn't offer anything similar again in the future.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 June 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the free offer includes the 1911 census, please?

Hi Jellis

Yes the 1911 census is included  :)

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

I might have a go at finding my lost grandma!  ;D

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:14 BST (UK) »
Good Luck  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
Note you will be able to search and get the transcribed return only. Not the original image.

I knew it was too good to be true. ;)

I'm still trying to work out whether you can only use the free 90 minute period when:
(a) England are actually playing a football match or
(b) is 90 minutes just the length of time it takes to play a football match and you can use it any time on those specific dates?  In which case, how about injury time and extra time so we can bump it up to 2 hours or more?

No Downside I was suggesting you try today, before the freebie on Friday.

Findmypast always allow users to download transcripts of the 1881 that is why I suggested using it as a trail.
On Friday when the freebie is in place you will be able to download images from the 1881 census.

I was trying to suggest a method to ensure you did not have problems during your 90 minutes free subscription.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.