Author Topic: David King of Warbister 1500's  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David King of Warbister 1500's
« on: Sunday 27 June 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hello
Can anyone help with information or direction on where to find more information on this man please??

David King was the 4th son of James King of Barra in Aberdeenshire.
In 1590, he took part with his brother William in the murder of Alexander Seton of Meldrum. He does not appear to have been charged...
In 1597 he was a domestic servant in the household of Partick, Earl of Orkney
In 1610 he became Bailie to the Earl
In 1627 he was apparently Commissioner to Hoy (I dont really know what that means? If anyone can clarify)
He allegedly became Sherrif deputy of Orkney, but I do not know when.

He married Mary Stewart, relict of John Sinclair- again I do not know when. Mary was apparently the daughter of Lord Adam Stewart, Prior of the Charterhouse at Perth, and a natural son of King James V...therefore I gather that Davids wife Mary was cousin to Earl Patrick??

I believe they had at least 4 children- I know of 4 sons. James who became Lord Eythen, David and William who went into Swedish military service, and John- known as of Warbister.

I realise this seems a lot of info already, but it is all unconfirmed- pieced together from lots of littel bits of info...if anyone can tell me any more about David- confirmation of his marriage , children, roles/occupations- and how he might have come to meet and move to Orkney with Earl Patrick- I would be very grateful. I have also read something of the character of Earl Patrick, and wonder what sort of person David was in turn??

any thanks!
Kyie B