Author Topic: Please humiliate me!  (Read 2259 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Please humiliate me!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 18:23 BST (UK) »

Hi Tim - I really think you might have to consider the fact that she may turn up as Ann or Anne or any variation..here's my twopennorth

I have been searching for a Caroline, in all census from 1871 to 1901 and on her marriage cert she is Caroline - but - on her daughters birth cert she suddenly becomes Catherine :(.  I have been unable to find a Caroline either registered or baptised but I do have a Katherine in exactly the right place and at the right time and with the right father.......now I'm not assuming but she is very tempting ;) more work to be done.
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks suey,

I'm not "wedded" to Anna.  If an Ann, Annie or Hannah Boyle of the right age were to turn up dead (so to speak) or in the '81 census, I'd be more than willing to consider her.  In my searches so far I've not limited myself to "Anna".  So in my response to Lacie, it was really the major disparity in ages that leads me to think the record she found is not the right one. 

Cheers

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, she could have been a patient in a hospital on the date of the census. She would show up on their list and not at her home address.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nessie,

Funnily enough, her youngest daughter was in Cookridge Hospital, Adel, near Leeds, at the time of the 1881 census.

But I've searched (throughout England) for all Anna/Ann/Annie/Hannah/Nancy Boyles born in England in 1831 +/- 5 years, and she isn't there.

There is an Ann Boyle, born 1826, in Leeds, married to a James (Jas.) Boyle, which was my Anna's husband's name.  Unfortunately, it's not the right James - the one who is a lodger is definitely the right one, as he is a cork cutter and has his youngest surviving son with him.

Cheers

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 March 05 10:27 BST (UK) »
Can sympathise with your frustration, I am trying to trace the death of Matilda Charlton. She was on the 1851 census as the wife of Parker Charlton aged 25. Parker married again in Leeds in 1862, but there is no sign of the death of his first wife. Have tried all the records with no success and am now left wondering if he ever married Matilda at all.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk