Author Topic: William or Willian Rodgers or Rogers married to Anne Murphy  (Read 5259 times)

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William or Willian Rodgers or Rogers married to Anne Murphy
« on: Sunday 27 June 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

does anyone in  know of a William or Willian Rodgers or Rogers married to Anne Murphy who originated from the area around 1780-1850 who worked for the Knox family . :)

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: William or Willian Rodgers or Rogers married to Anne Murphy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 June 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Atella
Your message is a little vague. Have you got some more information like what town are you looking at. If they were married do you know how old they were on the marriage certificate as its a 70 years gap you have mentioned.
If you can supply some more information I am sure someone will try and help you.
regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 June 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

thanks for trying to help and apology for lack of information the town is supposed to be Huddersfield they had a son Thomas who was born in co Mayo Eire so we think these people eventually moved to Eire.

Thomas was born around 1836-1839 in Eire

so my dates may be for willian or william search should be 1800s

I am trying this on a really sceptical basis as I did previously and have now found people leaving Mayo for America and  relatives only through a very kind lady on this site who remembered helping some one in U S A .

All the best

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 June 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Artella
I have had a look for you but it is hard to discover anyone you want to know about.  I couldnt find a William Rodger/Rogers born around Huddersfield so cant help you there.  I did find a Ann Murphy born in 1816 in Mayo, Ireland but by 1881 she is living in Liverpool as a Housekeeper/ a widow aged 65. There are quite a few Ann Murphys born around her time but non of them from Mayo apart from the one I just mentioned. Liverpool would be a port the ships would come over from the US would stop at and there was and is a high proportion of Irish people living there.
You need to get someones certificate to find out about them more, but which one I dont know. As you might know the certificates only start from 1837 so you might need a Church to find out the marriage of William and Ann and that might give you a little more info but otherwise I cant help you.
Hope you find your family
regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

thanks for looking considering my awful lack of information we think that is the correct  Anne Murphy by the dates and only one born in Co  Mayo

It may be that William or Willian was born in Co Mayo who married A Murphy but we do not know his parents who may have originated from Huddersfield.

Its pretty hopeless anyway thanks so much for your work.  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Since most Irish people listed in English census records (at least until the 1911 census) are shown as born in 'Ireland' rather than the county you can't assume, based only on Mayo listed as her birthplace, that that particular Anne Murphy (a very, very common name) is the person you are trying to trace.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 June 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
If this Annie was the widow of William wouldn't her surname be Rodgers rather than Murphy ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests