Author Topic: Color Negs from 1940's/50's All Sizes  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Christine52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann Garvey Madden abt. 1905
    • View Profile
Color Negs from 1940's/50's All Sizes
« on: Monday 28 June 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I have inherited about 200 negatives and I don't know how to scan them on my scanner, a Cannon MX300.  The negs are all different sizes, from 1 x 1 inch up to about 3 x 5 inches.  When holding them up to a light, I can see that the people are family members.  Surprisingly they seem to be in good condition.  Is there something I can do with them on my current scanner?  I can't afford to go out and purchase a new scanner just for this one purpose.

Has anyone done this with any success?

Michael Garvey (a butcher by trade) m. Bridget Sharkey both natives of Co. Louth.
Patrick Madden m. Mary Garvey, (He was a constable in RIC, joined in Galway and served in Belfast, Sligo, Fermanaugh and Tyrone.  She was daughter of Michael and Bridget Garvey)

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Color Negs from 1940's/50's All Sizes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 June 10 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Not quite the same I realise, but I had quite good results with some old glass photographic plates by scanning them as though they were ordinary images/documents, and then converting them from negative.
I found with some it was better to leave the scanner cover up, and with others, down.

The pics in question can be seen here.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/Finbarpics/Old%20Photographic%20Plates/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann Garvey Madden abt. 1905
    • View Profile
Re: Color Negs from 1940's/50's All Sizes
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 July 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Finbar,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will give it a try within the next few days and post here with the results.
Michael Garvey (a butcher by trade) m. Bridget Sharkey both natives of Co. Louth.
Patrick Madden m. Mary Garvey, (He was a constable in RIC, joined in Galway and served in Belfast, Sligo, Fermanaugh and Tyrone.  She was daughter of Michael and Bridget Garvey)