Author Topic: 1950s criminal records  (Read 7499 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1950s criminal records
« on: Monday 28 June 10 00:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone offer advice as to how to research someone who committed an abuse crime in the Battersea/Wandsworth area in the late 1940s early 1950s?  He was tried and convicted and apparently did some time in jail possibly as late as the 1960s.   I'm thinking that because of protecting the victim/s it was unlikely to have been published in the local newspaper at the time.  It might not be possible to learn any more, but I would welcome input from others just in case anyone else has had a similar difficulty.     

The individual involved is now deceased but I would prefer not to mention names to protect living relatives. 

Thanks

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1950s criminal records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 June 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
My family was in the same situation a few years back, a crime had been committed in the late 1950s in Sheffield and a prison sentence was handed out to a serving policeman, strangely enough it was an abuse crime as you have mentioned.

We found information from the local library in the area after going through many local newspapers.

A suggestion maybe would be to go to a local library or wherever they would keep copies of local newspapers.

Good luck, hope you find something, as we did.

Just realised you are in Canada, makes it a bit more difficult the way we did it.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 June 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
the DPA no longer applies once the person has deceased maybe its worth contacting the Police archive ??
you would obviously need evidence the person had died

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 June 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
There's a rumour of something similar in my tree, maybe about 50 years ago. nothing more than a rumour because no-one would speak of the person involved.

And I decided to let sleeping dogs lie. Any such offences took place a long time ago; the person concerned is dead; but his (adult) children are alive. Why rake up something as nasty as that?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 June 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
Ewan - you are correct - the local newspaper archive search is not a viable option at the moment.

toni* - any idea which Police archive would contain this info?

Annie65115 -  if it were any other crime I would agree with you.  Sadly this one can continue to poison for multiple generations.     

Thank you all for your responses. 

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
toni* - any idea which Police archive would contain this info? 

The Metropolitan Police appears to have jurisdiction over Battersea.  Also, how about trying to contact the local council, and see if they could look up local papers?  I can't see why a crime wouldn't be published in the papers...perhaps victims weren't named to protect them, but I'm sure details would have been published.  Sadly, these kind of stories appear to sell newspapers :(

Added: http://cms.met.police.uk/met/boroughs/wandsworth/index
           http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/a_to_z/service/429/archives
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Daisy Loo.  I will follow them up :)