Author Topic: I'll copy adverts in 1924 church magazine  (Read 4609 times)

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'll copy adverts in 1924 church magazine
« on: Monday 28 June 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the St Helens Congregational Messenger dated Feb 1924. It appears to cover Peasley Cross, Gerards Bridge, Newtown, Toll Bar, Rainford and Prescot. It has a lot of advert which i can copy and post to interested Rootschatters. Some are half page, some are quarter page and one on the back outside is full page ; J P Coop & Son, St Helens, ladies and gents tailors etc.
They are: A & Bernie Rudd, St Helens, bicycles, motorbicycles, batteries etc. Turley & Son, house furnishers.  Marsden's, boot repairs.  W Phillips, beef, pork and mutton.  Harrison's, St Helens, fancy drapers, ladies and gents underwear.  Edinburgh Cafe. (no name or place) Arthur Holland, The printer, cards etc.  The Crown Window Cleaning Co St Helens. Propr. R W McMinnis. A E Birchall. ST Helens, funeral  director ( it also states 'weddings a speciality'). E Rylance, everything for the smoker, Dunhill's pipes.  Hy Huyton and Son, St Helens, builders and contractors (we supply and erect Ariels)  Shaw & Marsden Ltd.,  St Helens,glass, paint and varnish merchants. (states managing diector Mr J W Gray and warehouse manager Mr Geo. Gray). J Cunliffe, St helens, family grocer.  E Pickavance, hairdresser, umbrellas recovered.  The Universal Bazaar, St Helens, drapery, fancy goods, toys, novelties. John Brown, St Helens, bakery. Hesketh's Fruit Stores, west indian bananas a speciality.  A E Hayton & Sons, St Helens, joiners and general property repairs.  George Marsden, 'we make a speciality of footwear'.  W J Ingham, decorative painter. John P Harrison, slater and plasterer. R Harland, Prescot picture framer, gilder.  Chas W Brown, Huyton, family butcher.  Henry W G Hind, hardware, tools, paints, netting.  R Cottom, St Helens, fruiterer and florist. Duckworth's, for best value in drapery and hosiery.  Sharples,  St Helens, drapery, novelties.  Davies's, St Helens, glass and china

Offline winsum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: I'll copy adverts in 1924 church magazine
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Kim,
I would love to have a copy of Turley & Sons advert as it is my great grandfather
Thanks
I have a copy of the St Helens Congregational Messenger dated Feb 1924. It appears to cover Peasley Cross, Gerards Bridge, Newtown, Toll Bar, Rainford and Prescot. It has a lot of advert which i can copy and post to interested Rootschatters. Some are half page, some are quarter page and one on the back outside is full page ; J P Coop & Son, St Helens, ladies and gents tailors etc.
They are: A & Bernie Rudd, St Helens, bicycles, motorbicycles, batteries etc. Turley & Son, house furnishers. Marsden's, boot repairs. W Phillips, beef, pork and mutton. Harrison's, St Helens, fancy drapers, ladies and gents underwear. Edinburgh Cafe. (no name or place) Arthur Holland, The printer, cards etc. The Crown Window Cleaning Co St Helens. Propr. R W McMinnis. A E Birchall. ST Helens, funeral director ( it also states 'weddings a speciality'). E Rylance, everything for the smoker, Dunhill's pipes. Hy Huyton and Son, St Helens, builders and contractors (we supply and erect Ariels) Shaw & Marsden Ltd., St Helens,glass, paint and varnish merchants. (states managing diector Mr J W Gray and warehouse manager Mr Geo. Gray). J Cunliffe, St helens, family grocer. E Pickavance, hairdresser, umbrellas recovered. The Universal Bazaar, St Helens, drapery, fancy goods, toys, novelties. John Brown, St Helens, bakery. Hesketh's Fruit Stores, west indian bananas a speciality. A E Hayton & Sons, St Helens, joiners and general property repairs. George Marsden, 'we make a speciality of footwear'. W J Ingham, decorative painter. John P Harrison, slater and plasterer. R Harland, Prescot picture framer, gilder. Chas W Brown, Huyton, family butcher. Henry W G Hind, hardware, tools, paints, netting. R Cottom, St Helens, fruiterer and florist. Duckworth's, for best value in drapery and hosiery. Sharples, St Helens, drapery, novelties. Davies's, St Helens, glass and china

Offline winsum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 10 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,
I am a new user and finding difficulty with the navigation
I am happy to send my personal email address but only if I can do that privately?
Regards
Charles

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 August 10 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Charles

Make another post (so that you see Posts: 3 under your name at left) then you can use the Personal Message (PM) system. Just click on the little green scrolly thing under kimhulme's details

Linda

PS welcome to RootsChat   :D
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk