Author Topic: MEEHAN 2 - Carlow  (Read 4501 times)

Offline wise1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MEEHAN 2 - Carlow
« on: Monday 28 June 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Im also looking for this name,although a different family from the post above . I had earlier posted looking for Annie & now know that she was born in Liverpool to parents Patrick & Catherine Meehan. I have them from Carlow in the 1871 census in Liverpool .

Offline wise1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CARLOW Head banging now !
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Just received a reply from Carlow Library (Carmel) who is amazing with
all my emails & always replies.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Family Genealogy. Unfortunately we have not been able to locate any information on Patrick and Catherine Meehan. We have the index to Baptisms and Marriages for all County Carlow Parishes here but no reference was found. Since we have these indexes there would be no point in your going to Dublin. Both indexes were searched. Just a suggestion – Carlow is such a small county (administrative area) that very often people cited Carlow as their postal address when in fact they were actually living over the border in County Laois or indeed Kilkenny or Kildare also. Carlow is on the border of a number of counties.

I guess I have no chance ?

Confused ? Yes ,because I found a Patrick Meehan in the Griffiths Valuation (Carlow) 1851 which you can find on this site ? Any ideas ?

Offline graiguegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MEEHAN 2 - Carlow
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
have you searched under the spelling MEIGHAN and also go onto the Meehan page on facebook and there is a lovely guy on there called john meehan who could possibly help you.  good luck.  there was a great family of meighans in carlow who owned the fish shop - martin, molly, tom and judy who lived in marlborough st in graiguecullen - their father was an RIC officer stationed at the corner of leighlin road and castlecomer road beside st. clare's church. anna

Offline nholloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 03:29 GMT (UK) »
We have Meehan in our family from Carlow but we also dont have too much information on them.  I wonder would they be related.  The information we have at the moment is that  Meehan (we dont know 1st name) married our ancestor Agnes Hutton (b1885) and they had a son Thomas (b 1905/6).  We believed that she was widowed and they both moved to Sheffield where Agnes remarried.  We have no further information on Thomas after that.  I am stil researching it as are family in Sheffield.

Could there be a connection?

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
Blimey graiguegirl......that brings back memories....Meighan's fish shop.  I actually have a photograph with Molly and Tom Meighan as part of the photo.