Author Topic: St Cadoc's, Trevethin  (Read 11750 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Cadoc's, Trevethin
« on: Wednesday 30 June 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if any mapping has been done of Trevethin's St Cadocs church?

Im trying to find the grave of my 3xg grandmother, Catherine Underwood. She died in 1914 in the district of Pontypool, her last known address was Osbourne Road. Her maiden name was Walkey and her mother's maiden name was Pascoe. I believe her full name was Catherine Pascoe Walkey/Underwood.

Her husband's name was Thomas and he died in 1892 apparently at home (Broad Street, Abersychan).

Catherine was approx 73 when she died, Thomas was approx 62.

A preliminary search on foot yielded nothing, but its a big cemetery and much of it is overgrown. I would dearly love to find their final resting places.

One other thing to note - they were Baptists, and were married at Pisgah Baptist Chapel in Talywain. I dont know if this would have any bearing on where they were buried.

Thanks very much.

Jules
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline pritch19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St Cadoc's, Trevethin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
They were both buried at St. Cadoc's:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~monfamilies/trev-bur-t-v.htm

I don't know if the burial plots have been mapped.
Census Information Is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 10 07:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pritch - I can see Thomas on the list. I did actually find Catherine on a list like this but wasnt sure if the list related to St Cadoc's itself, or just the parish, ie covering any other burial places in the Trevethin deistrict. Is this list from St Cadoc's church register, do you know?

Jules  :)
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline pritch19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 July 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Jules

Yes, all the transcriptions listed under Trevethin on Mike John's site are taken from the registers of St. Cadoc's.  There are also Bishop Transcripts of some baptisms.
Census Information Is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 July 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
I had a problem finding the grave of an airman killed in WW2 who was buried in a family grave in St. Cadoc’s.
I found it by using Google Earth, zooming down onto the graveyard at St Cadocs and making a copy of it.
Then visiting the CWGC web site to get the names and locations of the military graves in St Cadocs and on visiting the graveyard again, marking the CWGC headstones on the copied image from Google
I was then able to work out the plot numbers and found the grave I was looking for.
This will only apply to the older part of the graveyard on the right hand side.
Hope this helps.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 July 10 07:28 BST (UK) »
How ingenious papa - well done! Im very impressed with your resourcefulness!

Im not sure I could apply the same logic, I think I just need another wander around. The last time I visited I was primarily looking for Catherine's parents and young sibings who died around 1840, so was not actively seeking Underwood, but Walkey/

I will keep trying. In the meantime, if anyone know of anyone who has mapped this part of the cemetery, pleas please let me know.

xx

Offline djunna

• RootsChat Member
  • Genealogy: Tracing yourself back to better people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Im not sure if your aware, but the church holds open days. i went there last year and was able to access the church records to find a plot that i was looking for. if you can do this , there is normally someone around who can point you in the approx area.

im sure iv got a map of the plots somewhere, il have a look. do you know the church well? im sure the baptist section is on the other side of the road to the church

Darren
Bickford - Bilston
Collard - Tredegar Monmouthshire
Eldridge - Pontypool/Baglan
Falvey - Pontypool/ Ireland
Hayes - Cork Ireland
Jones - Pontypool/Llangarren
Lundrigan -Pontypool/ Ireland
Price - Abersychan

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren

thanks so much for this info. I will try to find out when the next open day is and perhaps I can get up there to visit. I dont know the church very well, only been up to the churchyard twice. Im guessing you mean to the left of the church when standing look up the hill, so to speak. If you could find the map, that would be fab!

Thanks again

Jules x

Offline djunna

• RootsChat Member
  • Genealogy: Tracing yourself back to better people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Sorry for the delay , but iv found the map you wanted,  let me know if you understand it ok. Plot  Q is running along side the road. Plot A is the church. I think the worst plots are R,T,U,S,S,S,

Looking at the map i think there is 32 different plots. i used it to find a grave there 2 years ago. some of the area is being tidied up by community service ppl, so you may be in luck, mine hadnt been touched for years,  when i got there they had just finished strimming it , so you never know.

Bickford - Bilston
Collard - Tredegar Monmouthshire
Eldridge - Pontypool/Baglan
Falvey - Pontypool/ Ireland
Hayes - Cork Ireland
Jones - Pontypool/Llangarren
Lundrigan -Pontypool/ Ireland
Price - Abersychan