Author Topic: Littler family  (Read 3026 times)

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Littler family
« on: Thursday 01 July 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
A portrait of Harold Davies Littler who was born 1888 in Llandudno where his parents had a grocery shop has come to light. Rev HD Littler became a Canon of the Church of England and Headmaster of a northern Grammar School. The portrait was painted c.1950 by the then school art master from a photograph since the canon had died in 1948 and is now no longer wanted.
HD Littler married in 1913 but it seems there were no children. However, HD Littler had a younger brother Edward HT Littler who married a Jane Morris and had 3 children.
If a descendant would like a portrait of their great uncle please let me know in the first instance.
BGB

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Littler family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hello BGB,

In the event that you do not get any response from an ancesotr of this person, can I suggest that you offer the portrait to the museum, or art gallery, in Llandudno? The museum's telephone number is 01492 876517.

The museum has many paintings of people connected to the town and I know they welcome donations.

Also, there is a site which covers Llandudno specifically and it is http://www.llandudnolocal.com/home

You may find a post on there will reach someone descended from Harold Littler.

Jo

Edit post: I have put an message on the Llandudno Local Forum about this.

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Jo,
Thank you for your kind suggestion. I'll wait a few days to see if I hear from anyone in the family. But the Llandudno art gallery seems a fitting solution for an unwanted portrait.
The school of which Canon Littler was headmaster no longer exists. Another grammar school casualty.
With kind regards
BGB

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 July 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello BGB,

I am told that there are quite substantial buildings called, "Littler's Buildings" in the shopping area of Llandudno town. I wonder if these are connected to this family.

Jo